Author Topic: I'm a Broken man!  (Read 4468 times)

Offline pauly66

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: I'm a Broken man!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 03:38:13 pm »
Hi Mark
The BAD news is I cant send you an output because I no longer have an operating system! I was trying all manner of things and then suddenly it stopped i. it wont boot any more so I
have loaded the cd rom again to reinstall it however its just as bad running from that so its no point going any further at this moment in time. Not only was the display rubbish but like i
said 5-12 seconds after clicking on an icon for anything to happen it is useless. I even think it could be the hard drive, the motherboard etc but then again windows 7 runs fine so I will
leave alone now . Thank you for all your efforts and although I am like a dog with a bone usually and wont stop trying this has gone too far lol. I accept defeat gracefully. If I ever get it sorted
I will let you know in the meantime take a big breath or a sigh of relief knowing that unlike Arnie........I wont be back!
many thanks
Paul

Offline pauly66

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 10:27:49 am »
Good morning Mark
I am back ! After my demise the other day I decided that I would not be beaten by a machine so I went back to basics and breadboarded the whole system. (in fact it still is running outside
the case) booted up mint from dvd and I could see  straight away that the the display was ok so I went to install it . I got half way through then it came up with an error about the
the disc being dirty or the hard drive couldn’t be written to . I knew the disc was ok so tried again, same result time to change to a newer hard drive, the one I was using was a ide, now gone to a sata drive VOILĂ€ mint installed in around 20 minutes and the screen resolution was bang on . I ran the dmesg command you asked me to do the other day and it showed that I had a radeon card etc so everything was fine. HOWEVER I did have a small problem in as much when I try to update I get the message of  dpkg was interrupted and you must run it manually but when I tried it said I need to be a super user to do this!  Anyway  found out about superuser and logged in as that and a WHOLE lot of information passed my eyes lol. Updating this, installing that etc now its downloading the packages for updates  and I have just got the message to say my system is up to date. Finally I can now say mint is installed and running nicely on my old board and I am a super user (only kidding)
Ok thanks again for your help the other day at least now I know I am in good hands if I have any problems in the future
Cheers
Paul

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »
Glad you didnt give up and managed to sort it. :)

Offline pauly66

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »
thanks, it really does feel satisfying in the end lol.  So......... you have mint 19 on your system now there's a thought ...........perhaps another time lol

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 10:19:39 pm »
Nicely done :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline pauly66

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »
Thanks Mark
There was another twist to the story, When I put everything back in the case the graphics went back to unrecognisable graphics so I pondered why and realised I was now connecting though a kvm switch so more investigation ensued only to discover that I had a dodgy cable (which didnt seem to affect windows ) strange but at least I got to the bottom of it swapped the cables and success  all round.
Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal