Author Topic: Installing Adobe reader on Linux mint 19.1  (Read 280 times)

Offline Sabinus

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Installing Adobe reader on Linux mint 19.1
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
Hi all,
This is my first day ever using Linux. Obviously, it is daunting. I have successfully downloaded and installed Linux Mint 19.1 and my system is running fine. I have also found a way to surprise myself by installing the printer successfully.
However, I need to install adober reader but unable to follow/understand  the commands to be entered on the terminal. I have followed some youtube videos but those guys are too fast for a newbie. They seemed to be talking to people who already know what they are doing, which I am not.
Could someone please please write out the commands to enter on the TERMINAL and the clear sequence or how to enter them. I will really appreciate this and I am hoping not to return to using Windows 10.
Once again, I will gratefully appreciate assistance on this issue.

Thanks again

Sabinus

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Installing Adobe reader on Linux mint 19.1
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:51:24 pm »
Mint should already have either evince or xreader pre-installed for reading pdf files.

But if you MUST have the "Adobe" reader, hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal, then run the following commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libxml2:i386 gdebi-core
(enter your password when prompted, then hit enter)

then:
wget ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
then:
sudo apt-get install ./AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
you should now find it in the main menu at:-

Menu > Office > Adobe Reader 9

Note:- Please remember Linux commands ARE case sensitive, so be sure to enter the commands EXACTLY as above :)

If for some reason it doesn't start from the menu the first time, open a terminal and run
acroread
when it starts, close it and try from the menu again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:54:15 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Installing Adobe reader on Linux mint 19.1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:17:12 am »
Hi Sabinus - and welcome to the forums!

Just a note to the above - you can copy and paste the instructions directly into the terminal - a very useful feature!   ;)

It can be daunting at first but you've already made a great start, (registering on this site for instance!) .  Take your time looking around the distro and I'm sure you'll soon become familiar with it.  Remember to only install software from the official repositories (Synaptic Package Manager, Software Manager) to avoid problems and run Update Manager (the shield in the system tray) regularly to apply any updates available.  Any issues, post back on here and they will soon be resolved.

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal