Author Topic: Remove w10 (SOLVED)  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Remove w10 (SOLVED)
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:33:19 am »
I'm currently dual booting Mint19.1 alongside w10 but I'n now a convert and want to remove w10  .Would the easiest method be to reinstall Mint and choose 'erase disk and Install Mint' and if I did it this way can I still create  root,swap and home partitions  or will Mint automatically set up it's own partitions.If so can I then use gparted to alter the partitions to create the 3 partitions?
   The other option seems to be to go into gparted and just delete the windows partition/s  then reclaim the space for Mint.If I did it this way can the three partitions already created be resized as well?       

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:00:26 pm by Zorba61 »

Offline Rich J

• Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Remove w10
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 09:17:05 am »
I'm currently dual booting Mint19.1 alongside w10 but I'n now a convert and want to remove w10  .Would the easiest method be to reinstall Mint and choose 'erase disk and Install Mint' and if I did it this way can I still create  root,swap and home partitions  or will Mint automatically set up it's own partitions.If so can I then use gparted to alter the partitions to create the 3 partitions?
   The other option seems to be to go into gparted and just delete the windows partition/s  then reclaim the space for Mint.If I did it this way can the three partitions already created be resized as well?       

Thanks.

My experience with partitioning would lead me to doing a fresh install (avoids potential conflicts if you get it wrong) and simply choose 'something else' from the install disk.  The installer will walk you through the steps to create each partition so you can replicate your current set-up if you wish - notwithstanding the sizes will be different to use up the newly available space. Depending upon how much RAM you have, you may not need a swap partition - Mint will create a 'swap file' instead.  There's lots of info out there on partitioning linux so it's worth reading up before you proceed.  Do you have an SSD?  If so, there are tweaks you can do to swap to help with SSD longevity.     

Of course,  back up your personal stuff safely before proceeding ............ ;)

Rich

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:48:54 am »
Thank for the reply Rich the laptop has 8gb memory and isn't used for anything heavy like video editing so I take it I don't need to create the swap partition?Will the be any problems with the boot loader after removing w10 or will reinstalling Mint sort it out?

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:11:25 pm »
It is possible to do it without reinstalling, but if you haven't that much time/data invested in your current installation a reinstall may be the Easiest/Quickest option.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Rich J

• Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:49:59 am »
Thank for the reply Rich the laptop has 8gb memory and isn't used for anything heavy like video editing so I take it I don't need to create the swap partition?Will the be any problems with the boot loader after removing w10 or will reinstalling Mint sort it out?

I can't say what would happen if you remove W10 and then re-size the partitions as I've never done it - I've only ever dual-booted Linux distros.  (My guess is Grub would still work because you have to install Windows first, then Mint, and then update Grub for it to to 'see' both OS's - but I stress - it's only a guess!) 

If you go for a fresh install, the bootloader will choose to place it's files in the relevant area unless you specify dedicated partitions.  For example, my set up is roughly  / 80GB, /home 380GB, unallocated 10GB on a 500GB SSD.  / is for the system and /home for all my stuff.  I left 10GB unallocated for use of the SSD to ease re-write issues (thus extending the life of the SSD) but current thinking doesn't deem this necessary any more.  Depending upon the size of your HDD/SSD, make / at least 20GB for the system files if you can, and the rest for /home. 

If you decide just to overwrite everything, let the installer use the whole disk and you'll be good to go.  (I prefer a separate /home partition to keep my files away from the system stuff but it's purely a personal choice).

This might be useful to run your eyes over - https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/linux-mint.html

There's lots of info about installing and configuring Mint that's easy to follow and (so far!!) I haven't had a problem............

Oh, and I went for the MATE version of M19.1 - again, a personal preference as I don't seem to get on with Cinnamon for some reason.  I don't need all the fancy stuff for what I do and I find MATE more than adequate and very stable which is the most important thing for me.  ;)

Rich

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:26:50 am »
Mark this on my wifes laptop so nothing really invested in it so will just go for a reinstall.
Rich thanks for your comprehensive answer ,very informative.

THANKS

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:59:30 pm »
Well I reinstalled Mint and just chose to erase drive .All up and working again,once again big thank you for everyones replies.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Remove w10 (SOLVED)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »
Great news :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Rich J

• Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Remove w10 (SOLVED)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:23:32 pm »
You're welcome!   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal