Author Topic: usb wireless adapter for Ubuntu18.04  (Read 240 times)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
usb wireless adapter for Ubuntu18.04
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:46 pm »
I am preparing an ASUSTeK P6-P5G41E desktop running Ubuntu 18.04 to give to a friend.  Having fitted a 256GB SSD (thanks, Mark) it's working much faster I want now to find a suitable USB wireless dongle for it. 
I bought one from Amazon that mentioned Linux suitability but Ubuntu 18 ignored it.  So I tried to install the accompanying drivers from the CD but the PC refused to extract the files, telling me that I didn't have sufficient privileges!  So I sent it back. 
I have a very old Belkin 802.11g adapter so tried that and it connected immediately - which makes it a valuable item that I want to keep! 

Bizarrely, I can actually still buy the Belkin 802.11g from Amazon, which I might do, but a more modern one that works out of the box would be better. 
I see lots of questions on the forums about getting dongles to work with Ubuntu 18 and would be grateful for advice from anyone on a device that will work on U18 without having to install anything. 

Thanks

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: usb wireless adapter for Ubuntu18.04
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:48:13 pm »
I've always had good luck with these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811Un-N150-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B003MTTJOY
Ideal for a laptop too because they're so damn small :)

I have no doubt there are faster USB wirless 'AC' adapters available, but I haven't tried them personally and they'll only benefit from the faster speeds if you have an AC router anyway.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: usb wireless adapter for Ubuntu18.04
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:06:27 am »
Many thanks, Mark.  The write-up looks good and I have ordered one and shall report the results. 

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal