Author Topic: External monitor for my Asus notebook  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
  • Been a Linux since around 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
External monitor for my Asus notebook
« on: August 22, 2019, 04:27:37 pm »
Hey guys I am looking to buy an external large monitor to plug into my Asus notebook that runs on Peppermint 9. I thought it'd be a cheaper option than spending months and months saving up for a bigger laptop and also the screen will be bigger ( I need a large screen to do online tutoring using video conferencing like Skype). The notebook is pretty cool, having a touch screen and has all the cool Linux features ( some which even my Chromebook won't do) so it seems daft to me to buy yet another laptop. I've already got 3! ( An old Dell notebook too running on Mint!). All it needs really is a bigger screen and one day I'll get an SSD drive put into it. A big monitor is the ideal solution.

I've seen this one and would like to buy it but was wondering if you'd mind having a look and letting me know if it'd work on my notebook?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-19-TFT-LCD-Flat-Screen-Computer-Monitor-Free-P-P/254259667027?hash=item3b330ea053:g:OHEAAOSwk8xc~l39

I would be using an external speaker or on headphones.

Here is my Asus notebook:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/X102B-10-1-inch-Touchscreen-Laptop-Black/dp/B00FC55SVO

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:29:57 pm by Melissa »
My computers: Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9. Asus c300 Chromebook and an old Dell inspiron mini netbook running on Mint.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: External monitor for my Asus notebook
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:33:24 pm »
You do realise that's 4:3 and not 16:9 widescreen ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:23:22 pm »
My computers: Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9. Asus c300 Chromebook and an old Dell inspiron mini netbook running on Mint.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:36:40 pm »
Oh they can also send a square one and you cannot choose, just seen in blurb below. What about this one?  It has the VGA cable with it ( which I assume is all I need since plugging it into netbook?)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viewsonic-VG2236WM-22-Widescreen-LED-Monitor-1920-x-1080-With-VGA-Cable/233297346682?hash=item36519b007a:g:c9UAAOSwd2JdOxhm#viTabs_0

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:37:55 am »
Yep, can see no reason that Viewsonic shouldn't work, as long as the VGA port on your laptop works .. have you tested this ?

According to the ebay page they come with a VGA cable, but not a power lead .. so make sure you have a spare standard 'kettle' power lead (aka. a mains power lead with an IEC C13 or IEC320C13 plug if you want it's technical designations).

Here's what one of those looks like, in case you're not sure
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LDS-KETTLE-MAINS-MONITOR-PRINTER/dp/B07PZ4Y7GQ
(I'm not suggesting you buy that one .. just showing you what it looks like for your reference)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:57:15 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »
Yep, can see no reason that Viewsonic shouldn't work, as long as the VGA port on your laptop works .. have you tested this ?

According to the ebay page they come with a VGA cable, but not a power lead .. so make sure you have a spare standard 'kettle' power lead (aka. a mains power lead with an IEC C13 or IEC320C13 plug if you want it's technical designations).

Here's what one of those looks like, in case you're not sure
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LDS-KETTLE-MAINS-MONITOR-PRINTER/dp/B07PZ4Y7GQ
(I'm not suggesting you buy that one .. just showing you what it looks like for your reference)

Thanks for your reply Mark. No, not tested the VGA cable on the notebook as have nothing to test it with, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work as my bro ( who gave it to me) had taken good care of the notebook and it's in good condition.  He hardly used it! All its other ports work fine.

I saw that it needs a power lead yes, and know the type you linked, but will have to get one as I haven't got one of those as its years since I had  a desktop computer.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:20:46 pm »
Mark I just found a widescreen 19 inch Dell monitor with both cables for £28.97 so bought it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173959146534

So to get the screen to work on the notebook, I presume you just plug the mains cable into  the mains, then the VGA into the notebook and it should just come on? Is there any settings I would need to set up?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 02:26:22 pm by Melissa »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 06:22:47 pm »
Yeah pretty much.

You may need to reboot with the monitor plugged in .. or set it as the primary monitor in the display settings .. but yeah.

That's one of those weird 16:10 resolution monitors rather than the more normal 16:9, personally I'd probably have gone for the Viewsonic (3" bigger, 1080p, and 16:9) but the Dell should work too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:30:03 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:38:57 pm »
Yeah pretty much.

You may need to reboot with the monitor plugged in .. or set it as the primary monitor in the display settings .. but yeah.

That's one of those weird 16:10 resolution monitors rather than the more normal 16:9, personally I'd probably have gone for the Viewsonic (3" bigger, 1080p, and 16:9) but the Dell should work too.

Thanks- I'll have to look at the monitor settings to see where that would be. I'm planning to switch it on over the weekend as I've a load of scanning to do so can look then.  I'm mostly on my Chromebook for my main computer- just love how quick it is with the SSD drive and that its battery lasts 8 hours so I can move it about.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 10:40:47 pm by Melissa »

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:42:44 pm »
Oh just seen this:

What do you mean by "weird resolution monitors"? How's that make a difference?
I liked the fact that it was a lot cheaper, still looks smart, is wide screen and had both cables.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 11:20:20 pm »
Ok I looked it up. Seems a lot of people like 16:10 cos you get more vertical space which is better for documents. 16:9 is geared to match watching HD films. Since I'm gonna be using the monitor mostly for online tutoring and work related stuff seems it will be great for me. I doubt I'll be bothered enough to spend time setting it all up just to watch dramas on Netflix/you tube- the Chromebook streams faster than the notebook and the screen is big enough for me for that. Not had a TV for over 10 years so am used to watching on a laptop.  When I'm at my mother's watching her TV it feels like I'm in the cinema lol.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:04:54 pm »
The monitor arrived and works great! Just plugged it into the notebook and it worked instantly. Screen resolution is fine!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 08:56:11 pm »
Cool :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 08:57:49 pm »
Yes, makes the netbook much more nice to work on!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal