Author Topic: Changing the Ownner of a Partition  (Read 618 times)

Offline nogueira13

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Changing the Ownner of a Partition
« on: January 09, 2020, 12:38:14 am »
Guys, I installed Linux Mint 19.2 in my laptop and when installing, as the hard drive was 1tb, I split it in two partitions and created it in addition to the /  /home and swap partitions, and created a /windows partition (fat 32). It turns out that the partition owner is root and I would like to create directories in this partition for /home users. I tried via console, as root user, changing the /windows partition group to the user group. But it did not permitted. The group name of this /windows partition is plugdev. I tried the command chmod 777 /windows but it didn't work out also. it left rwx for the owner and the group (plugdev), but did not authorize anything for "others"; Could someone help me how to change the group of this partition /windows?
May I simply delete this /windows partition using "gparted" without changing anything in /etc/fstab? What should I change there to delete /windows?
I bag your pardon for my poor English, but my native language is Portuguese. Thanks in advance.

Offline cirrus

• Hello World!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Changing the Ownner of a Partition
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:34:13 pm »
Yes you can wipe the windows partition when its unmounted, removing the entry from fstab is a must as the system may fail to boot properly if fstab is telling PC to mount a partition that no longer exists.  When installing windows it will assign a filesystem.
Personally I would put the windows OS on a separate HDD.
good luck.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

3xBoot / Arch / Sabayon / Debian
Arch-Arm Raspberry-Pi Model B
CPU:IntelĀ® Pentium D 2x3.GHz
GPU:ASUSĀ® [G92 EN8800 GT TOP] 512MB DDR3.
Memory:3072MB'DDR2 | HDD Size 1TB
Audio:Audigy2 ZS 7.1

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal