Author Topic: Mint 19.3 Disappointment - Not solved afterall!  (Read 579 times)

Offline ahead

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mint 19.3 Disappointment - Not solved afterall!
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:13:50 am »
I recently upgraded to Mint 19.2 then 19.3 from Mint 17 and I am really disappointed with it, especially the newer 19.3. Boot up is ok, 40 seconds but during a session it always gets progressively slower - I'm really fed up with the sight of the never ending whirlygig when loading up a new window or at the beginning and during a video. I replaced the HDD with an SSD, with a fresh installation of M19.3, hoping that would help also I have done the recommended tweaks for a new installation. M17 ran like a Swiss watch, I really miss it and regret this 'upgrade'.

Can someone recommend something better than this ponderous o/s, back to M18 perhaps? It reminds me of the bad old days of Microdaft on dial up!

(HP Probook 455G2 8Mb 960Mb SSD)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 05:43:55 pm by ahead »

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Re: Mint 19.3 Disappointment - [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:43 pm »
Hi, Ubuntu / Gnome in general has a tendency to bloat a little (or a lot) depending on the version. Personally I switched to XUbuntu many years ago and have not looked back. It is lightweight (relatively low memory usage, and fast), maybe a little more windows-like in appearance, and does not leak (as far as I can tell). Every now and again I try something Gnome-shell based just to see what they're up to, but it never lasts long.

Offline ahead

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mint 19.3 Disappointment - Not solved!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:40:44 pm »
Hi Mad P, I have only just seen your reply, very interesting what you say. I thought that I had sorted out the problems with 19.3 but it is worse than ever! I have put in an SSD and added Chromium to FF. Some times it gets so slow that I have to reboot 3 or 4 times in each browsing session. I assumed it was because my lappy is getting on a bit and some of the hardware is going a bit soft.

I've got as far as looking for a new computer but trying to find one with no o/s is proving v. difficult. Surely it can't be right that MS has such a global monopoly? I'll look into your recommendation of putting XUbuntu on this machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal