Author Topic: Google-Chrome blinks and after that closes abruptly.  (Read 59 times)

Offline nogueira13

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Google-Chrome blinks and after that closes abruptly.
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:55:13 am »
Guys, I installed Google-Chrome in my notebook and while I was not booting with proprietary drivers, Google-Chrome was working fine. After I chose to use the proprietary drivers from Nvidia (Nvidia Performance Mode) or Intel (Intel Power Saving), Google-Chrome suddenly blinks the screen and then closes abruptly. This does not happen with Firefox browser. Would someone have a suggestion to offer me?
https://servimg.com/view/20047426/8
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:10:07 pm by nogueira13 »

Offline Rich J

• Global Moderator
  • Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Google-Chrome blinks and after that closes abruptly.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:56:09 am »
Guys, I installed Google-Chrome in my notebook and while I was not booting with proprietary drivers, Google-Chrome was working fine. After I chose to use the proprietary drivers from Nvidia (Nvidia Performance Mode) or Intel (Intel Power Saving), Google-Chrome suddenly blinks the screen and then closes abruptly. This does not happen with Firefox browser. Would someone have a suggestion to offer me?
https://servimg.com/view/20047426/8

1 - how did you install Chrome?  From Synaptic or as a download from elsewhere?
2 - is there any compelling reason why you need proprietary drivers?  If Chrome was working fine with the native driver, why change it?
3 - are you saying that, when testing with either the NVidia or Intel driver you get the same issue?  And where did you download those drivers from?
4 - have you had a recent kernel update?  Sometimes this can cause previously working software to play up.  If so, try reverting to an older kernel and test again.

Proprietary drivers have been an issue for a long time and the 'solutions' offered compare to the numbers of stars in the heavens and each one dependent upon the individual set-up!  Without knowledge of full system specs etc it is nigh impossible to offer any relevant advice.  If it was me, I would revert to the native driver unless, as I say, there is a compelling reason not to.  ;)

Rich

Offline DavidMcCann

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Google-Chrome blinks and after that closes abruptly.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:11:20 am »
Rich has made various very good points, but I'd add one more. Launch Chrome from the command line — often when there's a problem, you get a useful error message displayed.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal