Support > General Help & Advice

how to solve error could not write bytes broken pipe in 12.04 lts ubuntu

(1/3) > >>

NiyatiG:
Hello All,

Need urgent help. I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The Day before yesterday I have installed Zoom for my office laptop with 12.04 LTS ubuntu. After successful installation of zoom, when I restarted the laptop each time before showing login screen i get an error message  "could not write bytes, broken pipe" and I can not login.  Then yesterday I have removed zoom but still error occurs. This is my office laptop  - Asus make Notepad with 14" screen. Also  I have not taken back-up of my office data.

Does anyone know why is this happening is there any problem with my installation? How can I get login screen again without hurting my office data.? Please help to solve this problem.

Regards,
Niyati

Keith:
Hello Niyati - and welcome to the Forum.

There are several things to note here:
1. Ubuntu 12.04 has not been supported since April 2017 - so your software is out of date, whereas the Zoom software would be assuming an up-to-date operating system. 
2. Zoom is very popular but very insecure, and I would recommend something like Jami (very secure) or TrueConf.  (not that this is relevant here as you have bigger problems!)
3. That you have not taken a backup of of critical office data is very bad.

The first thing to do is to back up all your data, and then install an up-to-date operating system.

My suggestion is that you:
1. Obtain a "Linux Live USB" or Live DVD of Ubuntu 18.04
2. Ensure that the BIOS is set to boot first from the USB, then DVD, then hard drive.
3. Insert the Live USB/DVD and boot the computer.  If all is well it will boot into Ubuntu 18. 
4. Insert a new USB with enough memory to back up all your data.  It's OK to use several USBs but better if all your data is on one device. 
5. Back up everything, then "unmount" the USB/DVD and remove it after checking that all the data is there!
6. Come back here if you get stuck or for further advice on installing Ubuntu 18.4

Please tell us the exactly which model Asus you have as this will help people to advise you. 
Keith

NiyatiG:
Hello Mr. Keith,

Thanks for your reply sir. My Asus model is X200 CA Notebook and it is not compatible for the higher version of Ubuntu. I will take the data back-up.

But in India we are under lockdown condition and so I can take back-up after the offices will get start. But I can not resolve the problem using earlier commands or without formatting the older version?

As the data is also under the older version, can we open the same in newer version?

Please help sir.

Regards, Niyati

Keith:
Hello Nyati.

If you cannot log in to your computer then I don't see how you can enter any commands.  It is for this reason I suggested extracting your data to a backup medium then installing a new Linux system. 
All your data will be readable with a new Linux version unless you have used non-standard office software.  If you have used the original office software then you are OK. 

It occurs to me that another way to back up your data might be to remove the hard drive and insert it into a "caddy" that you can plug into the USB port of your working computer.  It will look just like a USB stick to the computer and you can copy the data to another device such as another USB stick.  This method might be a bit quicker and easier. 

There are many "small" versions of Linux suitable for your Asus and other Forum Members will offer much advice on that.  Am I right that your Asus has 2GB memory and is 32-bit?  32-bit Linux Mint 19 might be a good choice. 

Best wishes in your lock-down.
  Keith

Keith:
Nyati,

In your first post you say that after installing Zoom you could no longer log in to your computer.  You go on to say that you then removed Zoom but still can't log in.
How did you manage to remove Zoom if you could not log in?

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version