Author Topic: External SATA-USB hard drive keeps disconnecting  (Read 1901 times)

Offline haughtonomous

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: External SATA-USB hard drive keeps disconnecting
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 10:07:19 am »
UPDATE: I've now plugged the new hard drive directly into a spare SATA socket on the motherboard, and it works perfectly. It appears as /dev/sdc, and I can mount that and backup to it quite reliably. In fact my old backup hard drive works just as well in the same way.
So I'm guessing that something is amiss with my USB>SATA caddies, both old and new. Can it be that the new one, a USB3>SATA3 device, is not properly compatible with my USB or USB2 ports?

Offline haughtonomous

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 10:08:39 am »
UPDATE: I've now plugged the new hard drive directly into a spare SATA socket on the motherboard, and it works perfectly. It appears as /dev/sdc, and I can mount that and backup to it quite reliably. In fact my old backup hard drive works just as well in the same way.
So I'm guessing that something is amiss with my USB>SATA caddies, both old and new. Can it be that the new one, a USB3>SATA3 device, is not properly compatible with my USB or USB2 ports?

Offline haughtonomous

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »
Problem solved!

It turned out that the drives in their USB->SATA caddies were not getting adequate power from the USB port. No idea why this should suddenly be the case after years of using the same port with the same drive (and I've not added any other hardware to the PC), but that seems to have been the cause. On a hunch I bought an independently powered USB hub, plugged it all in, and that solved the problem. Been working reliably once again, ever since.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal