Author Topic: Can only boot to command line [SOLVED]  (Read 2700 times)

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Can only boot to command line
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 09:13:52 pm »
Hi. Me again. Bit of an update. 1st I found I had another external HDD which allegedly had LL installed on it as an external OS. Unfortunately this didn't want to boot.

So I bought a ready made live USB for Ubuntu 18.04 as I needed an new USB for install any way & for £7.15 got an 8gb (verbatim) stick with it already done. It came with a CD with 149 page install guide & the (old?) Linux manual too.
Fortunately I'd left the BIOS set up to boot to USB as first option & the stick boots fine. I'm actually very surprised just how fast working from it is. I also quite like the look of the desktop too, but I've only had a quick whizz round so far.

Now I need to find out how to use this to recover & back up my files from the old LL OS. Any pointers would be most welcome.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 09:40:10 pm »
This is good news!  And if you think this is quick you will be very pleased with the speed when it's installed - running from a USB is always much slower. 
The desktop you have is the "Unity Desktop".  I don't know anyone who likes it, and if you wish you can add an optional desktop: "Classic View" which most people find much more intuitive.

To get your files:
1. When running from the USB, select the file manager from the left-hand menu.
2. At the bottom of the list, select "Other Locations".
3. Select "/dev/sda1"
4. Select "Home"
5. Click on your username.
You now have access to all your files. 

It's safest to back up your files using Terminal Commands (Ctrl+T), and I suggest that you use the "archive" (-a) option.  For example:
cp  -a  Documents  <path-to-back-up-USB> ...... as that will preserve the metadata. 
You can find the path-to-USB by
Code: [Select]
df  |  grep media
and copying the phrase beginning /media.... which will be your backup-USB.

Let us know how you get on.
Keith
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:02:25 am by Keith »

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 09:40:10 pm »

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 07:03:18 pm »
Thanks. Not sure if I've time left today to try. Should have tomorrow at any rate. Fingers crossed.

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 04:39:32 pm »
Just been having a go at backing up my files to the external HDD I have. Here's what happened.

a) There is no 'file manager' in the left hand menu (or anywhere else I can find). There is a 'Files' folder that contains '+ other locations'. This doesn't give stuff like "/dev/sda1" but drive icons instead. I was able to access the correct drive & find the drive files inc. "home" but these are folder/desktop type icons.

b) Cntl+T does nothing. I can only get a terminal from the applications selection (which I did).

c) I can not select the " | " symbol.  Shift+\ types > . Cntl+\ types < . Just pressing the |\ key also types <. So <df> and any combination of what follows doesn't work.  The /<> keys work normally with/out Shift.
I have a path name for the external HDD on this laptop from the 'title bar' (don't know what else to call it). Along the lines /media/<user>/<xyz numbers>/. Would that work?

d) I can just plain copy file/folders in the usual copy/paste manner between drives. These are readable when the external HDD is plugged into this laptop. How important is the metadata?

(finally - using the live USB for this is slower than normal. No big deal :) )

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »
Good progress.

a) The "Files" directory is of course the file manager - I could have been more explicit, but you worked it out OK.  the Unity Desktop is all about icons, unfortunately, which is why so many people change to Classic View.  Again; you worked it out OK. 

b) Just to be clear:  Ctrl+T does not mean click Ctrl then T - it means while holding down the "Ctrl" key press the "T" key.  I would be very surprised if that doesn't work.

c) The difficulty in finding the "|" symbol is just a keyboard mapping issue.  Try Windows-key+Space (and remember item (b) above!).  This should resolve the problem.  In fact all the symbols are somewhere on the keyboard but it's a faff finding them. 
Your /media/<user>/<xyz numbers>/ is exactly what's required, so go ahead with that.  Having to type it is a pain but that's life. 

d) Your usual "copy/paste" method of backing up is fine if you are comfortable with it and the metadata will probably be copied, too.  I'm a bit surprised that you can copy/paste a directory but if it works for you.....
The only likely metadata problem is that that the copied files might have today's date substituted, but modern OSs have largely got that sussed.  I've just tried it and it was OK.  I was being cautious. 

Let us know how you get on.
  Keith

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 07:05:08 pm »
:)
Just checked. Ctrl+T gives no result (I was doing it right). Looking for keyboard map with windows-key + space gives no result (of anything). Windows key on it's own comes up with a search option, in which I found out the terminal short cut is Ctrl+alt+T which works.

I also found the keyboard is set as US not UK. The required " | " key is on a separate key that occupies the space where the upper half of the UK's enter/return key lives so Funk knows where it now is on mine. I'll try & track it down* but as copy/paste is working OK & I find that easy (& the folder dates are copying) I think I'll go with that. Not sure I'm copying a directory. 'Home'  displays as a folder & clicking on that displays the sub-folders as if I was working normally on desktop.

I also noted some other short cuts with 'super' as a key. Is that the 'windows key'?

As for needing 'explicit' instructions - that's my Autism getting in the way. Literal is my middle name.

*Just thought I'll need to change this (& now know how to) once I've installed. I tried to do it with the live session but was dialogued I'd need to exit the session & restart for it to take effect & of course that would reset any changes to default.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:51:29 pm by RATTLEBACK.131 »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
My apologies!!  Ctrl+Alt+T is exactly the right command - that I have been using every day for years.  So goodness know why I got it wrong this time.  Sorry  :-[

And again:  I ought to have said that in Linux-speak a Directory is what Microsoft calls a Folder. 
Yep:  the "super" key is the Windows key, though I hesitate to describe Windows as super. 

After you have backed up everything it remains only to install Ubuntu.  That's the easy bit. 

Keith

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 12:03:31 pm »
Hurrah ! All my home directory/folder files back up to external drive. One or two things didn't copy - they had little padlock symbols on but they weren't important things or old stuff I've other copies of. Just a couple of final things to try to do before Ubuntu install but I'll ask in a new post.

Thank you for helping me out here. Much appreciated.  :)

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 12:26:10 pm »
You're welcome RB.   8)

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 12:26:10 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal