Author Topic: Thinking of changing disro for better support. [I went Ubuntu 18]  (Read 1976 times)

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I'm currently using Linux lite but getting help if something goes wrong is getting problematic. If I come here or anywhere else there's generally a lot of head scratching. So I'm thinking of trying something else & would like some suggestions please. I would like something that I will able to get help with easily if needed but doesn't need to be all sing/dancing. most use would be internet. Least technical to use would be a help too. TIA.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:59:18 pm by RATTLEBACK.131 »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
  • Awards Contributor Of The Month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Thinking of changing disro for better support.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:03 am »
Hello Rattleback

It would be very helpful if you would provide some information about your PC.  I note from your other post that you can only boot into the command line, but assuming this is the normal command prompt you may be able to control your PC normally from there, and be able to run Firefox etc.  If this is so, then please enter the following command and post the output here:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fx
If you don't have inxi installed you can do so as follows:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install inxi
Keith

Offline DavidMcCann

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:29:51 pm »
It does make life easier if you have a distro with a lot of users, preferably including experts. You have a modern computer which will run anything, so you have a good choice. If you like the user interface of Lite, MX Linux is the same. It's very reliable and has a large community.

On the other hand, you may be able to get things sorted. That's often the best bet — you see people who have a problem with distro X, so they install distro Y, promptly have a different problem with than, and so go to distro Z … it gets endless, until they give up and go back to Windows.

Offline darry1966

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 11:36:30 am »
Yes MXLinux/Antix are good choices and Devuan Linux and its Derivatives like Refracta (Good community).

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 12:52:28 pm »
Thanks for those suggestions. I'll look into those distros . I do like lite's interface so defo look at MX. I know I don't want to run down the 'keep changing distros' path. Nor go back to windows which was worse in both performance & support. I just want something where I can get support. My post on lite's forum still has no reply after 3 days, & there are increasing numbers of posts there also getting 0 replies.

Sorry for the delay, Keith, I had a busy day yesterday . Results inxi (once I could spell it right). Lot of info to copy so I'm only doing the stuff I hope is useful :

HP 15 notebook pc mod no 2213
kernel;    4.40-185generic x86_64   (64bit   gcc; 5.4.0)     console;  tty 1    distro ;  [nothing here]
bios; Insyde   v;F.39
Quad core intel pentium n3540   cache;1024 kb      flags; (-)     bmips; 4326
network;  card-1; realtek rtl8188ee wireless network adapter    driver; rtl8188ee     IF; wlp2so       state; up       speed;  n/a      duplex;  n/a
                mac;   9c;ad;97;36;21;a7       
                card-2; realtek rtl810ex pci express fast ethernet controller    IF;  p3p1    state; down     mac; 38;63;bb;84;74;7a
drives;   HDD; 500 gb (18.2% used)  ID-1; /dev/sda
partition;  id-1; / size; 451G   used; 78gb  (19% used)    fs; ext4      dev;  /dev/sda1
                id-2;  swap-1     size  8.47gb     used 0.00gb       fs; swap       dev;   /dev/sda5
raid;  no raid devices;  /proc/mdstat,  md_mod kernel module present
sensors;  none detected - lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info;   processes; -1    uptime; 5 min   memory; 144.2/7875.5MB   Init;  systemd    Gcc sys; 5.4.0    Client;  shell (bash)  inxi; 2.2.35

I'll now try your other suggestion of install updates. fingers crossed.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:05:44 pm »
No problem, Rattleback.  The info will help the experts make suggestions. 
I was particularly interested to see that no distro is listed.  Odd, but probably not significant. 

Offline darry1966

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 03:01:02 am »
Hi Rattle,

I read one of your posts about Lite going t-------s up and only getting commandline did you ever get your files off??

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 02:59:09 pm »
Rattleback - Going back to your first post in this topic:
You say: I would like something that I will able to get help with easily if needed but doesn't need to be all sing/dancing. most use would be internet. Least technical to use would be a help too. TIA.
Probably the most popular Linux OS on this Forum is Ubuntu which, like Peppermint, has its own Topic Board here, but many Members swear by Mint and other lite versions.  All my elderly friends (oldest 86) like Ubuntu but not the default Unity Desktop - everyone I've spoken to about it prefers the "Classic View" which can be installed quickly.  The Classic View is particularly intuitive and easy to use and is very configurable. 

Most help is available for the more popular Linux flavours, so to be most confident of getting help I suggest either, Ubuntu, Mint or Peppermint.  Peppermint 10 is popular but this review says:
The default collection is odd. You don't get much really. Peppermint 10 goes for a rather Web-y solution, with Dropbox, Google Calendar and Microsoft Online Office single-site launchers, somewhat similar to Manjaro. This is nice, but an offline capability would be nice, too. The media player does not respect my theme.
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/peppermint-10-review.html

Perhaps the best way forward is to create several "Live USBs" that will allow you to try different Linux versions without installing them, and choose the one that appeals most.  When you've backed up your files!  You don't even have to fix your present problems as you need only set the BIOS to boot from a USB. 

Keith

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 03:44:50 pm »
Darry - not yet. If you can help me do so please reply in the other post. Thanks.  (still not a sausage from the LL forum.)

Thanks Keith. I had a leaning towards Ubuntu when I posted. Once I've backed up files I'll be looking at that & MX but as I've only just heard of MX Ubuntu's got a big head start.

Offline Rich J

• Global Moderator
  • Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 09:24:42 pm »
Just adding my two penn'orth -

I'm a big fan of Mint, having tried several other distros over the years, which is a good all-round package.  I have Mint 19.1 Mate on my main computer and Mint XFCE on two very old laptops which both run very well.  Mint has good support worldwide.  ;)

See here - https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_xfce_whatsnew.php

Rich

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:48 pm »
Rich,
How much RAM is XFCE running on your old laptops?

Keith

Offline darry1966

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 10:51:32 pm »

Quote:
Perhaps the best way forward is to create several "Live USBs" that will allow you to try different Linux versions without installing them, and choose the one that appeals most.  When you've backed up your files!  You don't even have to fix your present problems as you need only set the BIOS to boot from a USB. 

Keith
[/quote]

You could use this method to get into your hard drive to retrieve lost files -- Puppy comes to mind. Always a good idea to have a toolkit like that if something happens.  Also a great way of altering or replacing a corrupted file with the original off the install iso to restore your system.  Had to do this many times otherwise a re-install.  Just a thought.

Offline Rich J

• Global Moderator
  • Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
Rich,
How much RAM is XFCE running on your old laptops?

Keith

Dell Latitude D520 - 1Gb Ram,  Toshiba Satellite Pro - 1.5Gb Ram.  Both on Linux Lite 3.8.  Main issue is both have u/s batteries so run direct from mains power (which defeats the object of a laptop!) but as they are basically test/emergency rigs it's no biggie!  They are both freebies and so old not worth the expense of new batteries.  I tend to get given redundant kit from the family from time to time and have great joy in converting them to Linux!  The kids are amazed at how fast they run compared to the original Windows system but I still can't wean them off Windows, despite the fact they all use Android phones.... ::)  C'est la vie!

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 10:19:50 am »
Thanks, Rich.

I'm always amazed by how little RAM one can get away with - I gave away a Dell 510 with 1GB working quite happily with Ubuntu. 
I notice quite a lot of people lauding LinuxLite even on top-end PCs so I might give it a go out of interest, and also the XFCE desktop. 

As for kids and Windows:  I have no idea!  Must be the Micro$oft eye candy. 

Keith

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »
Hi, I've been using XFCE (XUbuntu) for quite some time, GNome for me just leaks memory like a sieve. Although I still run XFCE on my laptop as it's a little low on RAM, memory is now so cheap ... I upgraded workstation a few months ago to 32Gb and switched to Plasma desktop on KUbuntu .. have to say, it is pretty smooth and I've not had any problems with it .. not thinking of switching to anything else based on it's current performance ...

Also (!) I'm not one to plug specific products (!) however, I stuck one of these in my machine too for around 60 quid;

WD Blue SN550 500GB, M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD

Now sixty quid for a 500G SSD seems pretty reasonable anyway, but this thing delivers 2G/sec read and 1G/sec write.
- mind-blowing performance, love to hear if there are any other devices out there with similar price/performance .. ?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal