Support > General Help & Advice

Identifying an Asus board

(1/1)

Keith:
An elderly friend has an old Asus that I gave her ages ago.  It's a P6 P5G41 E with the PN5-E mother-board.  Can anyone tell me if it's 32 or 64 bit?  I have the manual but, bizarrely, it doesn't tell me! 
As she lives 120 miles away I don't want to pick it up for repair if it's only 32-bit - I'll give her another. 

Thanks

Rich J:

--- Quote from: Keith on July 12, 2020, 08:37:59 pm ---An elderly friend has an old Asus that I gave her ages ago.  It's a P6 P5G41 E with the PN5-E mother-board.  Can anyone tell me if it's 32 or 64 bit?  I have the manual but, bizarrely, it doesn't tell me! 
As she lives 120 miles away I don't want to pick it up for repair if it's only 32-bit - I'll give her another. 

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Hi Keith - have a look at this -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/645627/is-my-asus-p5n-e-sli-suitable-for-windows-10-64-bit/

which suggests it is 64-bit capable but with issues (with Windows, in this instance.)  It's a bit unclear but possibly have to flash the BIOS and/or replace the RAM if that's only 32-bit?  Can you send her a USB stick with a 64-bit distro on it and see if it will boot from that?  Or would that be beyond her capabilities?

Rich

Keith:
Thank you, Rich - that's very helpful. 

My friend hates computers with a passion, and having poor eyesight doesn't help, so there's no chance that she will try a live USB. 
Your link is encouraging so I'll pick up the PC and fiddle with it.  The only problem I had with it was that it won't boot from a USB - there's no option.  I had to remove the HDD, swap it into my PC and install Linux on it, then swap it back.  A pain but cheaper than buying/building another. 

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version