Author Topic: Mounting USB devices - Peppermint 7  (Read 597 times)

Offline Samyan

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mounting USB devices - Peppermint 7
« on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:04 pm »
Hi. I've recently installed Peppermint 7 alongside Win10 on a new HP laptop. Win10 recognises my phone (Sony Xperia T running Jelly Bean) but claims that the drive is empty.  Which it isn't.  If I plug it into the USB running Peppermint  the phone lights up but I can't figure out how to mount its storage. I've got a box full of SCSI cables, but the plugs are just too big to fit the phone  ;)
Any advice would be welcome!
Rob.
fifa55

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
  • Awards Contributor Of The Month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mounting USB devices - Peppermint 7
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:58:00 pm »
Hi Rob.

Try starting a terminal session (Ctrl+Alt+t) and entering:
Code: [Select]
df  |  grep media
If the output displays a line with the highlighted word "media" then the PC is seeing the 'phone.  Some digital cameras need to be set up as a "mass storage device" to be recognised as such and the same might be true of 'phones.  As I don't possess one, I can't advise.
If it does show "media" then you can "cd" to that directory as usual. 

Failing that; try:
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l  |  grep /dev
If your 'phone is recognised then you should see it listed near the bottom of the list, probably as sdb1 if nothing else is plugged in.  Not sure where to go from there, but come back as someone will know. 

Keith

[Edit] You say the 'phone lights up when plugged into a USB port but mention I've got a box full of SCSI cables, but the plugs are just too big to fit the phone. If it needs a separate cable for data then that's what you'll have to do. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:01:12 pm by Keith »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal