Author Topic: Advice needed on new PC  (Read 1449 times)

Offline mikep

• Me again!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Advice needed on new PC
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 11:56:10 pm »
Thanks Keith,

It does help. If I go for this option I'll reuse my old PCIe graphics card at first and replace it if necessary. I hate the way manufacturers muddy the water with half-truths - like 2 16x PCIe slots when one of them will almost certainly run at 8x

I think I need to ask some questions of Novatech now. Such as does the motherboard support NVMe. Might as well go the whole hog. Only 1 left in stock now, so that's the next nuisance..

I'm running Xubuntu 18.04 so I presume (hope) it should work on this kit. I'd be very interested to hear what happens when you download the driver from AMD and try Ubuntu 20.04. Still, nice to see motherboard vendors even acknowledging Linux..the world has truly tilted on it's axis. Trump out. Cummings going. The world in Lockdown. Now Linux being acknowledged. I don't know which is most surprising.

Thanks again for your time.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:20:44 am by mikep »
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
  • Awards Contributor Of The Month
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 09:47:11 am »
Hello Mike.

With regard to x8 and x16 PCIe, this link is helpful: https://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14662/~/can-an-8-lane-pci-e-card-be-used-in-a-16-lane-pci-e-slot%3F.  The old PCIe graphics card that I initially used worked fine in the x16 slot, but your micro ATX board might be different.  But it won't harm to try it, as you mention.   

I suggest that you have a look at https://www.minitool.com/lib/nvme-ssd-007.html before venturing into NVME.  A straightforward M.2 SSD might be the best starting point, but speaking to Novatech is a good idea as you'll get a guarantee. 

Ubuntu 18.04 is running well on the new PC with Ryzen 5 2600 but I haven't yet enquired about Linux drivers - I'll report back if I do. 

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 09:47:11 am »

Offline mikep

• Me again!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 11:39:41 pm »
Not ignoring you guys, it's just that I asked Gigabyte for some information and I'm waiting for their reply...

Thanks for the links Keith. The number of options with SSDs  is a bit bewildering. Remember when it was just ATA (IDE) or SATA?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal