Author Topic: PC Build Advice for Idiots  (Read 705 times)

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: PC Build Advice for Idiots
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 03:08:11 pm »
Mm, I guess mileage varies, I've not used anything other than NVidia for the the last 10 years, typically I don't have driver issues, certainly not in recent years.
"lspci" tells me;

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 710] (rev a1)

So this is a low-end fan-less affair which typically costs between £30-£40 which I currently use in all my machines.
For a driver, I'm using the nvidia driver rather then the kernel included version, this gives better support for dual screens and the nvidia-settings utility.
Uptime on this (my main) box is currently 85 days, so I reckon that qualifies as relatively stable for a desktop machine .. and I run dual 28" 4k screens .. don't seem to have any performance issues and video playback in full-screen mode looks fine ..  :)

Offline Andriko

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »
Thanks again, Mad Penguin!

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »

Offline DavidMcCann

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 04:06:02 pm »
I can't recommend a graphics card as I've never wanted one. On the question of Nvidia,
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/10/you-may-want-to-avoid-linux-kernel-59-if-you-want-fully-supported-nvidia-drivers
This is, of course, one of the endless series of problems with that manufacturer.

Offline Zorba61

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
Sounds like you don't need a dedicated graphics card have a look at the AMD ryzen APUs they are a cpu with integrated vega graphics.

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 01:55:02 pm »
David; yes, however this is a generic issue. When ever a new kernel comes out, there is a chance it's going to break third party drivers. The generic danger is that the manufacturer concerned won't maintain the drivers they have, meaning you will be stuck on a particular kernel version. With NVidia in particular, they were one of the first companies to explicitly support Linux and to produce native Linux drivers for their graphics cards, and in that context I have a lot of respect for NVidia as a company. Whereas there is always a chance that in the future they might not continue to produce new drivers, the open source Nvidia driver supplied with the Linux Kernel does work Ok and in recent years has become pretty good - it's just not "as" good as the NVidia driver. So whereas I might be wary of expensive gaming cards (in general), I don't think there is any significant risk re; drivers when it comes to deploying low-end NVidia kit.

Zorba61; I have a new Ryzen, but I have a CPU (and motherboard) without the integrated VEGA feature. From memory I looked at this and worked out the chip with a motherboard that presents a HDMI was more expensive than the add-in board, and I could find nothing to show it would support dual monitors .. which is a requirement for me. In terms of ease of use, if you just want a "something" in terms of display and aren't too worried about the specification, an integrated solution is probably a lot easier to work with .. :)

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 01:55:02 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal