Author Topic: Chromebook-Linux Beta-Using Wine  (Read 510 times)

Offline tony_a

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Chromebook-Linux Beta-Using Wine
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »
Hi
Using a Chromebook, and just installed Linux Beta, then installed Linux Wine, all ok.
Using Wine, installed Microsoft Money ver. 4 , went through Install ok.
Icons have appeared in the Linux Apps folder on Launcher for Microsoft Money.
If I go into the Linux files and in Wine folder launch Money, it runs fine.
So the program as installed ok, good
But if I click on the icon in the Linux Apps folder on the Launcher or Chromebook, it gives error
File not found.
I assume that the Path is incorrect.
But I cannot find, how to modify the properties of this icon.
A lack of understanding how or where they are picked up from the install in Linux / Wine and then put into the Chromebook Launcher.

Offline jrjong11

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Chromebook-Linux Beta-Using Wine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:52:54 pm »
Hi
Using a Chromebook, and just installed Linux Beta, then installed Linux Wine, all ok.
Using Wine, installed Microsoft Money ver. 4 , went through Install ok. Icons have appeared in the Linux Apps folder on Launcher for Microsoft Money. If I go into the Linux files and in Wine folder dlnet deltanet launch Money, it runs fine. So the program as installed ok, good But if I click on the icon in the Linux Apps folder on the Launcher or Chromebook, it gives error File not found.
But I cannot find, how to modify the properties of this icon. A lack of understanding how or where they are picked up from the install in Linux / Wine and then put into the Chromebook Launcher.
is this issue solved? if yes, can you please update it here. I'm having the same issue :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:19:37 pm by jrjong11 »

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 03:52:54 pm »

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:07:15 am »
Mmm, I'm led to believe the M$ Money is quite an old product and not something even M$ support any more (?) and as a result getting it to work on WINE can be problematic. If this is true, then it might be worth looking at an alternative, either a native Linux app, or even an online application. Have you had a look at; https://kmymoney.org/

Offline tony_a

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:55:51 am »
Hi
Using Wine, installed Microsoft Money ver. 4 , went through Install ok.
Icons have appeared in the Linux Apps folder on Launcher for Microsoft Money.
If I go into the Linux files and in Wine folder launch Money, it runs fine.
So the program as installed ok, good
But if I click on the icon in the Linux Apps folder on the Launcher or Chromebook, it gives error
File not found.
But I cannot find, how to modify the properties of this icon.
A lack of understanding how or where they are picked up from the install in Linux / Wine and then put into the Chromebook Launcher.
is this issue solved? if yes, can you please update it here. I'm having the same issue :)

Hi
Yes I did, I keep meaning to write it up for myself, then update this thread, like always run out of time.
The file I edited was located in

file:///home/myaccount/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Microsoft Money/Microsoft Money

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Microsoft Money
#Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/myaccount/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/myaccount/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/myacount/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\\ Money/Microsoft\\ Money.lnk
Exec=wine "/home/myaccount/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money/MSMONEY.exe"
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/home/myaccount/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money
Icon=088E_msmoney.0
StartupWMClass=msmoney.exe

Bear in mind I don’t really know what I’m doing !, but from my days of DOS remembered that it did not like a SPACE in a command line.
Again learning but think, ( not sure) Linux is same.

I read that a / can be used before a SPACE, but then I still do not understand the Exec that is there.
So I commented that out and inserted the above, inclosing in “...” and added the PATH

Well it worked anyway.
Hope this helps, let me know how you go

Offline tony_a

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:49 am »
Mmm, I'm led to believe the M$ Money is quite an old product and not something even M$ support any more (?) and as a result getting it to work on WINE can be problematic. If this is true, then it might be worth looking at an alternative, either a native Linux app, or even an online application. Have you had a look at; https://kmymoney.org/

Thank you for that, I haven’t heard of kmymoney, worth investigating, aside from that I got Money working.
From quick look, it seems rather like the old Money program.
Its seems as if imports Quicken files, and Money will export them, so worth a try
Thank you.

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:49 am »

Offline tony_a

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 12:31:21 pm »
I should just add for anyone else reading.
Does take say 15sec for MS Money to launch, so wait a while.
I took my .mny file from Windows 10, and when opened on Chromebook, it did say, need to repair file, and may be corrupt, I just said yes, and it is all fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal