Author Topic: Ubuntu 20.10 anyone?  (Read 681 times)

Offline Tilia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ubuntu 20.10 anyone?
« on: December 12, 2020, 07:23:43 am »
I've just forced ubuntu to go to 20.10. We have a super-slow connection here (ASDL) so getting the downloads took just under an hour. However, the process was really fast. I'd just moved 'Home' to another disk and I must admit I wondered if the new download would ping Ubuntu to the four winds. However, it was hitch free. My PC is used almost entirely for gaming so I always wonder if anything will run afterwards. And of course it did... I can't say I've noticed much difference except Thunderbird seems to have had a makeover and I can shift the icons about on the Application Grid to my heart's content. I must admit the arrangement of those icons always irritated me! Has anyone else gone for it and what are your thoughts?

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ubuntu 20.10 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 11:25:49 am »
Hello Tilia - and welcome to the Forum.

I, too, am always amazed (and relieved) when an upgrade works.  I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 on a desktop I was building for a friend but the login process ignored me and I had to install 18.04 instead - so you were lucky. 

Which version of Thunderbird do you now have?  I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 with Thunderbird 68.10.0 and there are no icons in the main panel to move around - or do you mean the left-hand pane where the email "folders" are listed?

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 11:25:49 am »

Offline Tilia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 03:13:58 pm »
I'm using Thunderbird 78.5  The icons I mean are on the gnome desktop. Sorry, I should have been more precise!  - I was forced to have them listed alphabetically before but now I can drag them anywhere. It's rather fun.

Thanks for the welcome!! It's nice to see a Linux forum in the UK!  ;)

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:37:05 pm »
You are welcome, Tilia. 
Linux is certainly fun to play around with, especially when one gets into writing scripts.  We hope to see you here again.

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal