Author Topic: Scangearmp2 SOLVED.  (Read 2774 times)

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Scangearmp2
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 08:41:47 pm »
Hi Keith.

Its not working after I press Enter after Code:- ls (see attachment) tried number of times with same result, what am I doing wrong?

Goalie

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 08:50:25 pm »
Hi Keith.

Its getting late and I want to go and watch a TV programme, I'll look again tomorrow at the correspondence between us and look closely at yours and Rich J replies and see if I can see where I'm going wrong.

Thanks for your patience on this matter.
Goalie.

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 08:50:25 pm »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 08:57:09 pm »
Please don't add attachments:  copy and paste the lines as previously described.

You are not doing anything wrong!  The result shows that there is nothing in the directory to list, and this what I wanted to know.
Before going any further you need to be able to display hidden files in your file manager, and I shall show you how....

Start your file manager if it not running.  Make sure it is displaying your Home directory.
Now press the keys Ctrl+h.  You should see many more files added that have a "." in front of them - these are hidden files.  You can toggle the view by doing Ctlr+h again.  Got the idea?
By displaying the hidden files you should be able to see the .scangear directory. 

When you are happy with doing all this, let me know and we shall extract your scangear files.

Keith

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 12:28:47 pm »
Hi Keith.
Opened the HOME directory and found the hidden directory ".scangear" eventually. Await your next instructions, again I hope I'm not interrupting any of your festivities.
Goalie.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
Jolly good.  Now the next bit:

To extract the files
In your file manager, navigate to the scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz file that you put in Downloads.
Right click on that Scangear file then in the context menu that appears, select Open with.. then select Archive manager.

In the window that appears:
   Click on Extract
   When the file window appears, go to your home directory then
   Enter Ctrl+h to display hidden directories like you've just practised. Then:
   Navigate to the .scangear directory that you created in your home directory and double-click on it
      (This will show an empty directory)
   Click on the Extract button (top right?).
If you are invited to "show the files" or "Close", choose "close".  You can also close the Archive Manager window.

To check:  In your file manager, navigate to your .scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb directory and you will find some files there. Mine are shown in the attachment (I'm allowed to attach!).
Let me know if the files are there.

Keith

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 01:26:31 pm »
Hi Keith.

I've got a domestic chore to do so will have a look at your instructions later and get back to you,

Goalie.

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »
Hi Keith.
Chore done.
I'm struggling, I open the "scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz" file and Open with Archive Manager and navigate to the hidden ".scangear directory" in the Home directory. When this opens it isn't empty but there is a Extract button in bottom R.H. corner and pressing this it brings up the invite to "show the files" or "Close", I choose "Close". Now when I check the "scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz" file the files are not as shown on your attachment. They are folders :- documents, packages, resources and install,sh.  So again what have I done wrong?
Goalie
P.S. You must be getting frustrated with me by now.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 04:06:30 pm »
Goalie,

My instruction was: " In your file manager, navigate to your .scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb directory ".  Not the "scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz file".
The list of files that you mention is correct but they must be in the directory .scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb as shown in the image of my previous post. Please check that before we go to the next step.

Keith

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 04:51:45 pm »
Hi Keith.

It looks like I'm at cross purposes with your instructions. On my Mint system the layout of the Home directory and yours are slightly different but in essence one of the same thing. I have miss-understood your instruction :- "In your file manager, navigate to your .scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb directory " I now realize that I should have said directory (instead of file), so I'm sure that I have done the procedure as per your instructions. i.e. I open my ".scangear directory" this opens the "scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb" directory and this opens up the "documents, packages, resources and install,sh." files. Can you confirm this what you are looking for so we can go to the next step.

Goalie

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 04:51:45 pm »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 05:07:34 pm »
Perfect!!!

Sorry this is taking such a long time. 
The "install.sh" file is a long list of instructions for the PC to install the scangear drivers.  To do this, the file has to be an "executable" file.  We shall check that it is.

Start a terminal session then enter the following command followed by the "Enter" key:
Code: [Select]
ls -l ~/.scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb/install.sh
Then copy the output line (Ctrl+Shift+c) and paste it here.
I am expecting something like "-rwxr-xr-x 1 keith keith 18163 Nov 30  2017 /home/keith/.scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb/install.sh"

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »
Hi Keith.
Thanks again for your reply and patience I'll look at this tomorrow if that's ok with you, think we both need a rest from this. 
Goalie

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2020, 10:45:49 am »
Good Morning Keith.
Full of snow here and below is the result you hopefully were hoping for.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kevin kevin 18163 Nov 30  2017 /home/kevin/.scangear/scangearmp2-3.60-1-deb/install.sh

Goalie

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2020, 12:37:06 pm »
Hi Goalie.

That's good.
You may remember that the install.sh file is a long list of instructions (an executable file) telling the computer how to install the scangear software/drivers.  The "x"s at the start of the line you posted tell us that the install.sh file is indeed an executable file, so that's one less job for us. 

Just one more thing to do and we are home.
Executable files are executed simply by typing the name into a terminal.  However, the computer won't search the whole machine looking for it: it searches only the places listed in an environment variable called the PATH variable.  You can check where it looks by typing into your terminal
echo $PATH
and you will see that .scangear isn't listed. 
Modifying the PATH variable is not recommended (don't ask how I know!) but there is a cunning (and safe) method.  One can specify your .scangear directory by adding it to your .profile file and you computer will add it to PATH at start-up. 

To edit the file, in your terminal enter
gedit .profile
and copy the last two lines of the file into your next post.  This so we can see if there is already something there - we don't want to screw up at this stage.

Keith
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:39:59 pm by Keith »

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2020, 12:44:03 pm »
Hi Keith.
Here is copy of the lines after entering :- gedit .profile

Command 'gedit' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install gedit

Goalie

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2020, 12:52:50 pm »
No problem.

You can install gedit as suggested but for simplicity I suggest to use the text editor supplied by Mint (don't use LibreOffice!). 
When asking your editor to open .profile, don't forget to use Ctrl+h so you can see hidden files. 

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal