Author Topic: Scangearmp2 SOLVED.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Scangearmp2
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:23 am »
Hi Keith.

Thanks for your reply I did mean to do a re-installation got mixed up with upgrade, was going to wait until Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" was fully released. However I'll try first to re-install Mint 19.3 "Tricia" will let you know how I get on.

Best regards
Goalie

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:25 pm »
OK Goalie - good luck

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:25 pm »

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:27 pm »
Hi Keith.

Happy New Year I’ve solved my Canon printer problem but not as you would have expected.

I removed / re-installed the Linux Mint “Tricia” 19.3 and downloaded the printer and scanner drives from the Canon Pixma TR8550 web site. Then when I restarted the computer the Canon printer was receiving the printer jobs but wasn’t printing them. Also the computer wasn’t seeing the scanner, after various abortive attempts to get the printer and scanner to work I gave up.
My daughter uses Windows and has a HP Envy 5030 printer which we arranged to swap my Canon printer for her HP printer. After connecting the HP printer to my computer upon starting the Mint system it immediately recognised the HP Envy 5050 and I was able to print and scan without any problem.
My daughter says I can keep the HP printer and she will use the Canon printer, so it appears that the Mint 19.3 doesn’t work with the Canon printer as easily as the HP does.

So Keith I thank you once again for your help and patience with me on trying to get the Canon printer to work and I’ll sign this off as “solved” upon receipt of your reply.

Goalie.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2021, 02:42:57 pm »
And a Happy New Year to you, also, Goalie.

This is good news indeed. 

It's true that although Linux is very good at coping with almost any printer one throws at it, sometimes it's not up to the job. 
As you are using HP now I do recommend that you install the HP Linux & Imaging Printing system (HPLIP) available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/.  It might even come pre-installed with Mint.  HP is one of the few manufacturers that supports Linux well. 

Best regards,
   Keith

(Yes; please do mark your topic as solved)

Offline 19goalie50nxQ

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »
Hi Keith.

Thanks for your reply and best wishes for the New Year, I tried downloading the HP link but wasn't successful. I looked at the reviews and decided not to pursue it in case I caused  problem with the HP drivers already successfully installed.
So thanks once again for all your help etc. and I'll mark this topic closed.

Best regards
Goalie

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Scangearmp2 SOLVED.
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2021, 03:26:30 pm »