Non-Tech Zone > General Discussion

Computer Not Shutting Off

(1/3) > >>

MattC:
Hi.  Not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

I've been trying to install an OS on an older computer and what ever I do, whether through installed or live, when I come to close down the computer, the system shuts off but the computer stays on.  After that, I cannot turn it on or off with the power button - even with a hard shutdown.  The only way to restart is to turn the power switch off at the back (or remove the power), turn on and then restart.

Any suggestions?

Matt

SeZo:
You could try the suggestions here:
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/shut-down-a-linux-pc-that-wont-turn-off/

MattC:
Thanks SeZo.  However, the computer doesn't shut down whatever it runs.  I've tried Linux distros, Hirens boot CD, etc.  None of the OSs forced a complete shutdown.

DavidMcCann:
Try the "magic SysReq" key. Holding down Ctrl and Alt, press first SysReq and then (not to quickly) REISUO and that should cleanly shut down the computer. To make sure that this is enabled, type in the terminal emulator

--- Code: ---
cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
--- End code ---
If the reply is not 1, then use the command

--- Code: ---
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
--- End code ---

MattC:
Sorry I'm probably not making myself clear: the system completely shuts down except for the power light and the fan (and possibly other things I'm not aware of).  I cannot do anything with any peripheral at all - including the power button.  The only thing that works is the power switch at the back - completely shutting power off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version