Non-Tech Zone > General Discussion

Computer Not Shutting Off

<< < (3/3)

MattC:
OK. No problem.  Thanks for your help.

Leo Comarre:
Hi Matt

When my system stopped shutting down from the buttons I used the command "shutdown now" and also "poweroff now" in the terminal.
What response do these commands show?

Leo

--- Quote from: MattC on January 25, 2021, 07:19:53 pm ---Hi.  Not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

I've been trying to install an OS on an older computer and what ever I do, whether through installed or live, when I come to close down the computer, the system shuts off but the computer stays on.  After that, I cannot turn it on or off with the power button - even with a hard shutdown.  The only way to restart is to turn the power switch off at the back (or remove the power), turn on and then restart.

Any suggestions?

Matt

--- End quote ---

Rich J:

--- Quote from: MattC on January 25, 2021, 07:19:53 pm ---Hi.  Not sure if this is the best place to ask this.

I've been trying to install an OS on an older computer and what ever I do, whether through installed or live, when I come to close down the computer, the system shuts off but the computer stays on.  After that, I cannot turn it on or off with the power button - even with a hard shutdown.  The only way to restart is to turn the power switch off at the back (or remove the power), turn on and then restart.

Any suggestions?

Matt

--- End quote ---

You don't mention which distro you are trying to install.  ;)  Is the computer ex-Windows and does it still have Windows on it or have you successfully installed Linux?

MattC:
At one point I was using live CDs of Hiren's Recovery Boot CD and at least two other Linux distros - this, without having a HDD attached at all, in order to see if it was the HDD that was causing the problem.  So, the answer is really that I had, at one time, no installed OS on the computer.  The original OS, I believe, was Win XP.  (I booted Hiren's (x86) up with both the Mini XP and the Linux recovery.  Neither solved the problem.)

Rich J:

--- Quote from: MattC on February 07, 2021, 06:36:55 am ---At one point I was using live CDs of Hiren's Recovery Boot CD and at least two other Linux distros - this, without having a HDD attached at all, in order to see if it was the HDD that was causing the problem.  So, the answer is really that I had, at one time, no installed OS on the computer.  The original OS, I believe, was Win XP.  (I booted Hiren's (x86) up with both the Mini XP and the Linux recovery.  Neither solved the problem.)

--- End quote ---

And the computer?  Make, model, specs etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version