Non-Tech Zone > General Discussion

Computer Not Shutting Off

<< < (2/3) > >>

Keith:
Matt,

Is this a very new computer, especially a gaming type?  The reason I ask is that I recently built a fancy desktop system for a friend that had all sorts of fancy lights on the mother-board (I wasn't expecting that!) which stayed on until I used the switch at the back - just like yours.  The computer itself certainly switched off. 

Keith

MattC:
No, Keith.  The unit is a standard shop bought one probably around eight to ten years old.  The mother board light remains on, as do the fans.  Nothing else is active.

Keith:
I don't know if these things use a latching relay or a triac, but it looks like the latching device driver (just a transistor) is not operating.  That would certainly account for the behaviour as switching off the mains switch would automatically unlatch the power device. 

I must admit that I don't usually switch off the PSU at the back of the PC, but it's no hardship I guess.  I doubt that there is a safety issue except that leaving the PSU on all the time would not be a good idea. 

Keith

MattC:
Is there an easy fix for it (mechanical, not software)?

Keith:
I doubt it, Matt.  It's probably a semiconductor switch buried inside a chip somewhere.  Gone are the days of discrete devices.  Sigh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version