Author Topic: Ubuntu will not load from any source on my various platforms  (Read 76 times)

Offline sweeneyr95

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ubuntu will not load from any source on my various platforms
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:40:10 pm »
I have downloaded and burned ISO images to disk and USB, I have also downloaded ubuntu direct to 3 computers Windows 10, XP Pro SP3 and windows 7 laptop.
No installed app on any  of the computers is able to run the operating system, nor can I find anything online to do so.
Where on the various ISO downloaads and removeable media is the setup app that I can click on to run Ubuntu?
I,m about ready to give up on Linux!

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ubuntu will not load from any source on my various platforms
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 01:17:48 pm »
Hello Sweeney - and welcome to the Forum.

Not sure what you mean by "I have also downloaded ubuntu direct to 3 computers Windows 10, XP Pro SP3 and windows 7 laptop."
The ISO image is just a single file that contains in a compact form all the files necessary to create an operating system.  The ISO file is NOT an operating system. 
Similarly Windows will not run any other operating system (except in a virtual environment) - Linux is not an application. 

In order to run Linux you need to create a "Live Disc/USB", from which you can either run Linux (but as a demo, as it's slow method) or install it on your computer.  In the latter case you can install Linux either alongside Windows or in place of it (recommended!). 

You need a bit of software to "expand" the ISO into a working, Live disc/USB.  I recommend downloading a USB stick writer such as https://www.balena.io/etcher/.  It comes with a USB stick formatter, which is useful.  There is also https://unetbootin.github.io/ which allows one to create a live USB directly from a choice of Linux versions. 

So don't give up on Linux - you will be converted when you've given it a good try.  Like the rest of us here.  If you want to continue, download/install the USB writer and come back here. 

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

Re: Ubuntu will not load from any source on my various platforms
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 01:17:48 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal