Author Topic: Deepin - Sudden hard drive activity slows down the system  (Read 732 times)

Offline jaffafa

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Deepin - Sudden hard drive activity slows down the system
« on: March 07, 2021, 01:13:24 pm »
I am using Deepin and suddenly there is a lot of hard drive activity which slows down my pc to a crawl. I checked but it doesnt seem anything is taking up the RAM or using the hard drive, i dunno what it cold be.

I have 3.30ghz PC with 6gb of RAM

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Deepin - Sudden hard drive activity slows down the system
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 03:29:15 pm »
I hadn't heard of Deepin, so had a browse of the web. 
This link https://www.maketecheasier.com/deepin-linux-review/ states that " if you have less than 64GB to dedicate to its installation, it will refuse to proceed."  That's an awful lot, considering Ubuntu requires only ~5GB. 
In addition, it seems that one can't install Deepin unless one accepts the End User Agreement.  This is astonishing for an open source operating system.  Why? 
Deepin is of Chinese origin and several reviews question it's security, although without any hard evidence of malicious behaviour. 

You mention a lot of hard-drive activity but then say it doesn't seem anything is taking up the RAM or using the hard drive - so I'm not sure what you mean.  If the computer is very slow but neither the RAM nor HDD is in heavy use, then it might be an idea to check network activity.  Have a look at https://askubuntu.com/questions/257263/how-to-display-network-traffic-in-the-terminal for some useful tools.  tcptrack looks good. 

I'd be interested to hear from any other Members who have experience of Deepin.
Let us know how you get on.

Keith

[EDIT] "bmon" is better: 
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install bmon
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 03:51:29 pm by Keith »

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 03:29:15 pm »

Offline DavidMcCann

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 04:30:42 pm »
If the hard drive is being used, something must be using it! In the command line, you can use top to see what procedures are running and how much CPU activity and memory they are using. That will generally show anything suspicious.Have you looked in the Deepin menu to see if there are any GUI tools for monitoring processes and network traffic?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal