Author Topic: My scanner doesn´t work on Ubuntu  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My scanner doesn´t work on Ubuntu
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:36 pm »
Hope it turned up what you are looking for!

[email protected]:~$ sudo chmod 744 /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/PS1Dfw.usb
[sudo] password for avon:
[email protected]:~$ sudo ls -l  /usr/share/sane/gt68xx
total 8
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 7256 Aug  1 18:47 PS1Dfw.usb
[email protected]:~$

I have no idea what any of this means, especially ´avon´
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

Offline emegra

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 07:01:30 pm »
Ok that looks good to me

Try your scanner now

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2021, 07:01:30 pm »

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2021, 07:11:42 pm »
Ok that looks good to me

Try your scanner now

Graeme

Okay- I will go and get it from the hessian bag I keep it in, in my bedroom. Yeah--I need some sort of desk for all my computer stuff lol.
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2021, 07:18:09 pm »
Nope, still says it is unable to connect. Don´t worry about it. I will get this Ubuntu wiped off and have Peppermint put on it instead. It never took so much effort to try and get things to work on Peppermint. I will shut this Macbook down until I can get the money together to get Peppermint put on it. (I think they will charge me about £50).
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

Offline emegra

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »
Matilda wiping Ubuntu and installing Peppermint won't fix the problem, Peppermint is Ubuntu, don't be disheartened there's a few other firmware files we can try, The one I tried was the one I thought most likely to work but maybe I was wrong, so if you're prepared to stick with me I'm prepared to keep trying

What do you want to do ?

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2021, 07:24:11 pm »

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2021, 07:46:31 pm »
Matilda wiping Ubuntu and installing Peppermint won't fix the problem, Peppermint is Ubuntu, don't be disheartened there's a few other firmware files we can try, The one I tried was the one I thought most likely to work but maybe I was wrong, so if you're prepared to stick with me I'm prepared to keep trying

What do you want to do ?

Graeme

I've used this scanner so many times over a period of about 7 years on Peppermint and no problems with it. I didn't have so many firmware installation issues with Peppermint. It's not just the scanner but also the DVD package. That won't work either, but it works on the Peppermint netbook.

Peppermint works differently to Ubuntu. It is simpler and easier to use the software manager etc. I hardly have had any problems getting packages uploaded in the past using Peppermint. Mark always said it was the best distro for netbooks and laptops!

I've put the MacBook away for now. I'm having a think if I even want to keep it because it has some keys that stick, and a screen so reflective it is like a mirror! I can't really use it to watch anything (which is a shame cos of the big screen) unless it is a dim day or evening, and it needs to be plugged in all the time as the battery doesn't have much charge. Now, the netbook also needs to be plugged in, but it isn't big and heavy like the MacBook and it also gets very hot, so I got it a cooling mat which works, but doesn't stay as cool as the Chromebook does.
I might give it to my mate Dave to do his typing on (he writes zines). I already have the netbook and my Chromebook which between them, do all I want them to do.

I'll let you know in a couple of days what I've decided to do. Thanks for your help so far.
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:51 pm »
Well I´m using the Macbook again! My Chromebook is second hand and some sites have updated Chrome and they are not supporting it. Very annoying. I have another post about that.

I´m getting given another scanner off a local bloke this coming week, so it might work better on the Macbook. I will post about that when I have it. In the meantime the Peppermint netbook works the scanner I already have very well.
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal