Author Topic: Suggestion for this forum view set up  (Read 597 times)

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
Suggestion for this forum view set up
« on: June 15, 2021, 10:06:54 pm »
Guys I don´t know if there is some setting I need to do when viewing and posting on this forum, but the font size is tiny! And when I either zoom in with my touch screen Chromebook, or use the usual zoom on my MacBook it goes right over to the right so I cannot see what I am typing. I have to practically have my nose right up to the screen. Can you make it square and larger?
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for this forum view set up
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:15:03 pm »
Hi Melissa.

Chromebooks are available in screen sizes: 11.6, 13.3, 14, 15.6 inches.  Which is yours?  If it's a small one, then the text will be very small in order to fit it all on the screen.  Expanding the text size will naturally put some text off-screen so that you have to scroll to see it. 

One thing you could try if you are running Firefox on your Chromebook is to click on the small, rectangular "page" icon at the right-hand end of the Firefox address bar.  This will display just the text without any graphics and the text is larger.  I attach a screen shot of it. 

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 10:15:03 pm »

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 02:15:01 am »
Hi, I've tweaked some of various font sizes .. how does it look now?

Offline Matilda

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:29:10 pm »
Guys it's nothing to do with my Chromebook. I've been on this forum since 2011 and had several laptops/netbooks and the set up of this forum is the same on each one. The problem is that to view a thread/post you have got a long rectangle box, not a square one which does not fit onto any screen! You need to make the message/post boxes square not rectangle.
Got 2 Linux computers:
Peppermint on a netbook
Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro
Also got a Chromebook!

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:33:19 pm »

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 01:51:51 am »
Ahh, Ok, I think I see what you mean. The template is set to a 'fixed' width of 1200px, with 1280 being a sort of minimum desktop standard for the last 10-15 years or so. However, that doesn't really allow for phones etc.

There's a limit to what I can do without re-writing Nolt's template or picking another one, however I've had a stab at changing from "fixed" to "maximum", so the entry box should now scale to the window size, or at least down to around 700px. If your Window / display is less than 700px wide then it's not really going to work with this template for all sorts of reasons. I've also upped the default "height", although note that you can always increase the height of the entry box by dragging the sizer handle at the bottom of the window.

Let me know if that helps.

which does not fit onto any screen!

Erm, well, it fits on "all" my screens and this is the first query I've seen in 10 years, so I'm not sure "all" is entirely accurate ..  ;)  .. if that doesn't fix it, can you could post a screenshot somewhere so I can see exactly what the problem is?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal