Author Topic: Fast OS for an Old Laptop  (Read 1123 times)

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fast OS for an Old Laptop
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 06:12:28 am »
If you are worried about security I am surprised that you use gmail as Google will know everything about you.

Thanks.  I'm aware of the majority of issues using Gmail.  The reason is simply legacy.  I had to change from tesco.net when they closed and I decided, quite blindly at the time, to go with Gmail.  It was such a hassle to change various things connected with my e-mail account that I'm reluctant to do it again.  I appreciate that Gmail is collecting info and is able to use that info without the users knowledge, (under the terms and conditions, the fact that I'm using the service gives Gmail my permission to use that info when and how they like,) but I don't pass info along through Gmail that I consider sensitive.  That goes by a different route - I do have a Proton Mail account, and I also have Dropbox.

Thanks for your advice, though.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:46 pm »
Understood.

Do let us know which OS you decide upon, and why you choose it - readers are bating their breath. 

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:46 pm »

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 08:26:09 pm »
Well, I finally decided on Linux Lite.  One of the problems I though I had with Mint, was that Dropbox wouldn't install.  So I decided to install Lite and now find that Dropbox still doesn't install.  I didn't notice if the error message with Mint gave any indication, but Lite certainly did.  The spec isn't high enough.  Accessing Dropbox was one of reasons for trying to re-use the laptop.  But I guess it's not meant to be.  It's not so long ago that Dbx would have worked fine on there, but I guess the Dbx team have decided that they don't want the older m/c to run it.  I understand the economic and security reasons, but it's a little frustrating.  I'm not the type of person that enjoys all the most modern tech.  Particularly if the old tech seems to work absolutely fine (except for the FORCED upgrading).

I think I'll stick with Lite, and if I need to access Dbx, I'll have to down/upload it directly via the website.  Thanks so much for your help; it's much appreciated.

Matt

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 09:51:45 am »
Hi Matt.

I don't think you have to install Dropbox on your computer unless you need the convenience of placing files in your Dropbox directory to share with others. 
You can still access your Dropbox account via a web browser, upload/download files and share them with friends by providing a link.  I haven't used Dropbox for a while, but use the more secure Mega.nz equivalent.  I accidentally lost the Mega directory but still use the service via Firefox. 

Let us know if this works for you.

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal