Tech Zone > Security

Linux in Between

(1/3) > >>

IanG:
Hi Everyone,
I will confess at the start -- I am a somewhat (very) ancient user of Windows and know only how to spell Linux - not how to use it.

I am one of the many who refuse to use Windows 8 -10 or above. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasingly difficult acquiring Anti-virus and/or Firewall software without jeopardising security/configuration by adding dubious updates.

I wondered if it were possible for a small Linux based Server to sit between Internet connection and desktop, using Linux AV/Firewall, and allowing safe use of the Windows desktop/Laptop?

All suggestions gratefully received, and those I can understand -- even more so.

Thanks,

Ian

Keith:
Hello Ian - and welcome to the Forum.

My only suggestion is that you change to Linux. 

Your proposed solution for using old Windows safely (which I can't help you with) seems inordinately complicated and not worth the hassle.  If you need to use dedicated Windows applications you can usually do so in a Linux environment using a Windows Emulator, although there is a huge number of (free) Linux applications to satisfy most users. 

Linux is so safe that most users don't even bother with a firewall and anti-virus s/w is not necessary.  In addition all s/w is free unless you wish to make a donation.  I hope you will join the Linux fraternity. 

Keith

IanG:
HI Keith,
Thanks for your welcome and advice.

I had (almost) convinced myself the way to go is Linux but, as an aged soul, wonder if I would be biting off more than I could chew.

Anyway, I have a redundant Toshiba laptop available, so might just take the plunge this weekend and see where it takes me.

Thanks again,

Ian

Rich J:

--- Quote from: IanG on August 26, 2021, 10:14:41 pm ---HI Keith,
Thanks for your welcome and advice.

I had (almost) convinced myself the way to go is Linux but, as an aged soul, wonder if I would be biting off more than I could chew.

Anyway, I have a redundant Toshiba laptop available, so might just take the plunge this weekend and see where it takes me.

Thanks again,

Ian

--- End quote ---
And a welcome from me too!

As a (very) silver surfer myself.......  I took the plunge years ago and have never looked back!  In all that time, only on a couple of occasions have I 'needed' Windows, and that because of the device criteria involved, not the shortcomings of Linux!  ;)  If it's any help, my other half, who is as technophobe as you will ever find, uses Linux every day without a worry as to what is going on underneath.  She asks me constantly how to do things, of course, but she did that with Windows so no change there!  The point being, the result is the same as makes no difference between the two systems, it's the way Linux is constructed and works 'under the hood' that is different, and is much more secure and stable than Windows.

With your spare Toshiba, you are in the fortunate position to be able to try out Linux without affecting your main computer.  There, you can learn Linux at your own pace, make mistakes, (as you certainly will), but will be able to (with help) redress any errors you might make - what's not to like?  And for free too........ ;)

If you can post your Toshiba specs and general computing requirements it will give responders a chance to advise on which distro would likely suit you best and how to install and run it successfully.

Hope this helps,

Rich

steve57:
If I may just add to what Rich J said, I started looking at Linux couple of years ago, and I've never looked back either. End of support for Windows 7 was on the horizon, and there were hundreds of articles regarding what to do. One specific article I read just basically said "If you're rich, buy a Mac, but if you're not, give Linux a go". I don't know now who wrote that, but whoever it was I owe them a great debt of gratitude.

Fair enough, I was fumbling a bit to start with, but soon got the hang of things after trying a variety of distros. Some distros are very user friendly for beginners, and some less so.

If your Toshiba is redundant, what have you got to lose? And do let us know the spec of the Toshiba and what your computing needs are. I've seen so many similar requests on various forums, but they don't even tell us the basics.

Let us know how you get on. By the way, I don't think I'm quite in the "silver surfer" category just yet, although I'm only a couple of years away from retirement, and I've always said that if I can cope with Linux, anybody can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version