Author Topic: Booting Linux mint  (Read 491 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Booting Linux mint
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2021, 11:16:37 am »
Keith,
I think that Mint Cinamon is much too big for the Equium machine so I need to find a smaller distro to install on it.
I got it up and running but it performed woefully taking ages to boot up then the keyboard didn't work in Libre and the internet didn't really work and it lagged terribly. It was just unworkable.
I did restart the machine but did not take the USB stick out. I may not have installed it properly.
I am considering using the USB stick to load Mint onto my 8gb RAM 64-bit newer Toshiba Satellite and have it there alongside Windows 10 to get used to it and compare and contrast. My Windows 10 has intermittent faults of involuntary cursor wandering and inputting of XXXXs. I had to switch it off and start it again this morning. Now there are three factors, right, hardware, software and internet provider? How can you diagnose accurately?
That machine does not appear to have F2 options for boot order so I do not know how I would set it to boot from usb?
I am assuming that if I then delete the contents of the usb stick then go back to Unetbootin and install a much lighter distro like Puppy with much lower machine system requirements then this will install on the Equium and be workable?
The appeal of the usb stick lies in the fact that you can wipe it clean at any time then load more memory onto it and make it live again through Unetbootin?
Is there any way of meeting others locally or in London in person or having real time conversations via phone or videocall?

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:32 pm »
I did restart the machine but did not take the USB stick out. I may not have installed it properly.

In order to use the installed operating system you must remove the USB stick, as I mentioned earlier, because you have set the boot order to boot from the Live USB if it is present, and running from the Live USB will be very slow.

I am considering using the USB stick to load Mint onto my 8gb RAM 64-bit newer Toshiba Satellite and have it there alongside Windows 10 to get used to it and compare and contrast. My Windows 10 has intermittent faults of involuntary cursor wandering and inputting of XXXXs. I had to switch it off and start it again this morning. Now there are three factors, right, hardware, software and internet provider? How can you diagnose accurately?
1. You can indeed use the Live USB to install Mint on your Toshiba in addition to Windows (make sure you have the 64-bit Live USB).
2. The wandering cursor might be due to an ultra sensitive mouse tablet.  I once found that inadvertently dragging my sleeve over the mouse tablet whilst typing on the keyboard moved the cursor - and you are not the only one to complain of this phenomenon. 
3. Mysterious inputting of a string of XXXXs looks like a stuck key, and is very unlikely to be a s/w issue.  One of my elderly friends has a similar problem because he will insist on eating his toast while typing and filling his keyboard with crumbs! but it could be just a worn key mechanism. 
4. Diagnosing the source of the problem:
    If the XXXXs occur only on the "X" key and independent of what application you are running (office, email, etc) then it's a hardware issue.  (and probably with any other sticky keys, too)
    If it only happens with one particular application (unlikely) then that would indicate a s/w issue, but I can't imagine how. 
    Internet-based applications would not cause this problem.

That machine does not appear to have F2 options for boot order so I do not know how I would set it to boot from usb?
There are several boot-access keys used by different manufacturers.  The "Delete" key is a favourite, so try that, and "F12" is another. 

I am assuming that if I then delete the contents of the usb stick then go back to Unetbootin and install a much lighter distro like Puppy with much lower machine system requirements then this will install on the Equium and be workable?
The installation will certainly work perfectly well, but "workable" depends on the computer itself.  Like you, I would expect a lighter O/S to behave quicker. 

The appeal of the usb stick lies in the fact that you can wipe it clean at any time then load more memory onto it and make it live again through Unetbootin?
Definitely!  BUT:  don't just press the delete key when you highlight the files for deletion - use Shift+delete or you will simply fill up the rubbish bin on the USB stick and the available space will be reduced.  And you can't "load more memory onto it".

Is there any way of meeting others locally or in London in person or having real time conversations via phone or video-call?
I would be very careful about passing your personal details to anyone you haven't already met and assessed as "safe".  This Forum discourages it but you might find a Linux computer club on line - try https://www.meetup.com/topics/linux/gb/17/london/

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 03:21:32 pm »

Offline Rich J

• Global Moderator
  • Still a Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 08:16:16 am »
TC  - you are probably correct that Mint Cinnamon is too much for your rig to handle.  It is the premier version within the Mint family and requires a fair amount of RAM to deal with all it's 'bells and whistles'. 

But don't despair - if you wish to continue with Mint (and I'm assuredly a fan) then consider switching to Mint Mate, (pronounced mar-tay) version (just as good in my opinion with a more 'classical' appearance and the one I use) or Mint XFCE (stripped down version of Mint but still fully functional).  Other, lightweight versions of Linux are available, of course, Puppy being one of them and do work well.  The reason I've stayed with Mint is it's polish and stability, ease of use and, more importantly it's user base - ergo the potential 'pool' of advice is huge if things do go awry - rare, but it does happen.

For more info, take a look here - https://linuxmint.com/about.php

Rich

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 04:47:20 pm »
Many thanks for your advice and help.
It does appear from Keith's advice that I was trying to use Mint Cinammon after failing to properly install it, not having removed the stick before re-starting the Equium, which, unfortunately, does not hold a charge on its battery and will only work with a power cable.
I am now going to have to use my USB stick again and go through the process again but this time remove the stick before re-starting the computer. I will only be able to properly assess it once it is properly installed and will only then be able to decide on future options.
So the routine is: 1, Start the Equium up after putting the usb stick in. 2, Get it to boot from the stick. 3, When it is booted and requires me to re-start the computer I then remove stick and re-start.
Will this mean that from then on the computer will boot from the hard drive into Linux as it will have been installed on the hard drive?
The learning curve has been steep for me and, I have to say, I have found this incredibly complex.

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »
One of the issues I face is that the tab keys on the Equium do not seem to work so that the blue Unetbootin panel which first appears giving me a number of options cannot be navigated so the computer just goes into default rather than gives me the option of choosing.

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 08:02:50 pm »
I need to input a valid password to get back into the desktop but I do not remember giving a password and there seems no method of re-setting.
It now seems to be workable and a bit slower than MSN but not by a great deal. The keys seemed to work fine and the internet with an ethernet connection seemed OK. I imagine it will take much longer to boot up properly but when up and running seems ok.
There is my name and the name of the machine for some reason in the top left hand corner. On the right there is the correct time, an on/off switch, gb (presumably great britain) for keyboard setting and an Accessibility logo and the desktop is smart.
I do not know what the word "safe" means in this context and nor do I properly understand the need for strict anonymity in all communication.
Somebody, somewhere must have registered me somewhere and now know my details as my name is on the computer?
My broad assumption is that user names and passwords on that machine will now not be stored and that I will have to keep a record rather than have MSN keep one for me.
My broad assumption also is that activity on it will not automatically default to a Google or MSN account for storage, meaning that nobody will have any record?

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:58 pm »
Hi TC.

I am a bit overwhelmed now.  From your post #18 it looks like you intend to re-install Mint.  If so then you are right in saying that when asked to reboot the PC you must remove the USB before doing so.  The PC will then boot from the installed Mint.  You don't need to use the USB device ever again on that machine to run Mint (except to fix any problems, as Rich says). 

From your post #19:
One of the issues I face is that the tab keys on the Equium do not seem to work so that the blue Unetbootin panel which first appears giving me a number of options cannot be navigated so the computer just goes into default rather than gives me the option of choosing.
I never use the tab key when using Unetbootin - I always use the mouse to highlight the appropriate box. 

From your post #20:
I need to input a valid password to get back into the desktop but I do not remember giving a password and there seems no method of re-setting.
It's usual that the installation process asks you to provide a password for security, so I guess you must have entered one (or just pressed Return). 
It now seems to be workable and a bit slower than MSN but not by a great deal. The keys seemed to work fine and the internet with an ethernet connection seemed OK. I imagine it will take much longer to boot up properly but when up and running seems ok.
Do you mean that you can access applications like office s/w and and the internet?  If so, then the system is working. 
I do not know what the word "safe" means in this context and nor do I properly understand the need for strict anonymity in all communication.
Where and when do you see the word "safe" and in what context?
Somebody, somewhere must have registered me somewhere and now know my details as my name is on the computer?
No: all the details you entered on your computer exist only on the PC - the information is quite safe.
My broad assumption is that user names and passwords on that machine will now not be stored and that I will have to keep a record rather than have MSN keep one for me.
Names & passwords that you save (e.g. when registering on websites) will be stored in your browser application.  MSN will know nothing about them.
My broad assumption also is that activity on it will not automatically default to a Google or MSN account for storage, meaning that nobody will have any record?
That is correct.  Google and MSN only know about you when you are using their services - which I don't recommend!
You can set the default search engine which might be Google at installation but I recommend using DuckDuckGo for security.

I hope this helps a bit.
   keith

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 05:56:50 pm »
Keith,
Much of the confusion is caused by the fact that we cannot interface either online or in person so actual real time problems can be dealt with as they happen and as I report them on here. That is what I need, really.
In the moderation of comments on this platform, is there a time distance between me posting and you publishing what I write? If, for instance, I was to reveal my identity or yours then what would happen? What does "moderation" actually mean?
What I noted about Mint was that it carried my full name on the desktop when idle and I found that rather contradictory of the anonymity rule. Why is my full name on there?
The onscreen keyboard for Mint very strangely does not seem to include a Z. Why?
I remembered my password last night and was able to log back in.
I was able to get a You Tube stream up and running, and inputted text on Office Libre on first session and got satisfaction from the fact that I appeared to have got a redundant old machine back in use. Things like SAVING and having more than one window up at one time was desperately ponderous, slow and laboured, especially as I had Windows 10 going on another computer at the same time.
Today, however, keyboard inputting does not appear to be possible (just now, some did while others did not) so I am unable to input my password and use it.
The second session last night was slow and ponderous, indicating to me that 64-bit Mint Cinamon is, indeed, too big to work smoothly on a machine with limited RAM and processor speed.
It does appear that I am back to square one but with the vital knowledge that Linux can be installed on a USB stick and can function on an old laptop, bringing it back to life for me at no cost.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:29 pm »
Much of the confusion is caused by the fact that we cannot interface either online or in person so actual real time problems can be dealt with as they happen and as I report them on here. That is what I need, really.
In the moderation of comments on this platform, is there a time distance between me posting and you publishing what I write? If, for instance, I was to reveal my identity or yours then what would happen? What does "moderation" actually mean?
Any delay between you posting and your post being displayed will be a server issue - moderators have no control over displays of posts, except a member's very first post.  I'm sorry but personal interaction in real time will not happen on the Forum - a local Linux club might be your answer. 

"Moderation" is simply keeping an eye on the content of posts, ensuring that Forum Rules are obeyed (bad language, advertising, etc) and weeding out scam merchants who try to join the Forum. 

Revealing one's full name on the Forum is not forbidden but is discouraged and revelation of personal details might result in being banned. 

If Mint is displaying your full name then you must have entered it at some point during the installation.  This is  not regarded as a security issue unless you give others access to your computer. 
The onscreen keyboard for Mint very strangely does not seem to include a Z. Why?
I bet it does! 
I remembered my password last night and was able to log back in.
What can I say!!

The remainder of your post does seem to indicate some serious problems other than Mint being rather large for the machine. 
It does appear that I am back to square one but with the vital knowledge that Linux can be installed on a USB stick and can function on an old laptop, bringing it back to life for me at no cost.
Yes; this is a valuable function, and a skill that will prove very useful.  You've done well.

Keith

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:29 pm »

Offline Trenchcoat

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 01:56:34 pm »
Keith,
I am mystified by your comment on the lack of a "Z" on the Mint onscreen keyboard.
I don't understand "I bet".

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal