Author Topic: Lite 3.8 Blank Screen After Opening Lid  (Read 910 times)

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Lite 3.8 Blank Screen After Opening Lid
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 09:24:40 pm »
Steve57,

If that had been me I would immediately be looking for an alternative distro, purely on principle.

The thought did occur to me as well.  However, I've used Lite 3.8 on and off for the past few years and, generally speaking, I think it's a good one.  I think the reason is not that they couldn't help, but that the creator (if that's the correct term) didn't want to assist with an older version.  Considering, though, the distro is free, I can't see the problem.

what exactly do you mean by "the laptop won't hold v5"? Lack of RAM, lack of storage space, only 32 bit, processor not up to the job? Or something else?

All of the above, I think.  Without checking through the specs of both again, I'm sure that my laptop fails to come up to the minimum spec for v5 on any of the normal criteria.

Brian000,

welcome to a community that will try to help, regardless of warranty periods, etc  :)

Thanks.

this suggest that Lubuntu should be OK.

I had a feeling I'd looked into that some time ago, but I'll revisit it.

but consider also searching for the N10 model too, which I understand has similar specs to your N110.

Not sure whether you're suggesting getting an N10 instead.  The N110, I have.

Thanks for your additional advice.  Much appreciated - particularly after the Lite Forum ;)

Matt

P.S.  Is there an easier way to insert quotes?  I've been using 'Insert Quote' and deleting what I don't need.  Is this the normal way people do it?  Also, I'm not getting notifications for a reply.

Offline Brian000

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 07:08:39 pm »
Mattc,

I only meant that (and I believe that) the N10 and N110 have very similar hardware specs, so if you're searching for "Blank Screen N110", it would also be worth looking for "Blank Screen N10" too (or whatever).

Having an old laptop myself, I often discover something that I don't like or can't easily solve, so either simply live with it or move onto another distro - which means that I have a high turn-around of distos on my laptop.  But, what I never do is make a note of what I've used nor why I don't use it...  I know some of the lightweight distros use a single-click (which just drives me crazy), and that many (including Debian) give me WIFI driver problems, but that's personal taste and hardware, which may not impact you.

Here is a list of 50+  https://thishosting.rocks/best-lightweight-linux-distros/ - Good hunting :)
Does your N110 have 1gb or 2gb RAM? - either way, many of these require less than half of that, so you should be safe!

If you want any advice or even help choosing, perhaps let us know and I'm sure we'll be happy to help out more (although I guess that should be a new question).

(I'm not very good at formatting my own posts, so I'll have to leave that to somebody else I'm afraid :))

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 07:08:39 pm »

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 07:15:40 pm »
Brian,

Your formatting's fine.  Thanks for your contributions.

Keith

Offline steve57

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2021, 05:12:51 pm »
I know some of the lightweight distros use a single-click (which just drives me crazy), and that many (including Debian) give me WIFI driver problems, but that's personal taste and hardware, which may not impact you.

Good you mentioned this Brian, as it's a good example of how different distros suit different people/hardware, and why I'm often reluctant to recommend a specific distro, as what works brilliantly for me might not for somebody else. For example, the single click doesn't bother me, and although I've had some wifi headaches with Ubuntu based distros they all disappear when I change to a Debian based distro.

It can often require a fair bit of experimentation until you find something you're happy with. Having said all that you may like to consider Zorin Lite, it's not what I'm currently using but when I tried it I found it to be one of the quickest to boot and most responsive in use.

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 05:22:04 pm »
Matt,
P.S.  Is there an easier way to insert quotes?  I've been using 'Insert Quote' and deleting what I don't need.  Is this the normal way people do it?  Also, I'm not getting notifications for a reply.

"Insert quote" is the only way.  My method is to select/copy the text I want to quote, click "insert quote" then paste the text.  Very quick. 

Not getting notifications?  I've had that a few times, but if you are not getting any I suggest that you check your profile preferences.  I doubt that they have become corrupted, but worth a try.  If your preference is still set to receive notifications, your email address is correct and you are not getting any then do PM me and I'll get the management to look into it. 

Keith

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 05:22:04 pm »

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2021, 07:42:01 pm »
Thanks Keith.

I found that the 'notify' button was off, but I'm sure I turned it on at the start.  I've noticed this before, but I can't guarantee that I'm not making a mistake.  It's definitely on now, so I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.

Matt

Another P.S. (I'm not sure if here is the right place to trouble shoot all these), the notifications that I'm (now) getting are coming up in my gmail spam folder.  Despite clicking on the 'not spam' button, they keep appearing there.  Any comments/suggestions?

Offline Keith

• Global Moderator
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2021, 10:07:51 pm »
Ah;  Gmail.  Renowned for screwing up email clients.  If you are using Thunderbird, then that ought to remember your choice of not-spam but Gmail does have an unfortunate tendency to do its own thing.  My somewhat biassed suggestion is to dump Gmail and register with something like Proton Mail - although the free version is on-line only. 

To report forum problems, please use the Forum's Bugs Board and the Management will investigate.

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal