Updates:

You can now choose from a number of pre-installed themes

aiming to set Wordpress-db back to basic-setting

Started by rincon, December 26, 2021, 09:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

dear Community, dear Keith,  dear Brian000

good day. Hope everything is going well - happy season-holiday to you all - and a happy XMas.

my question today: i want to reset the WordPress database to its original settings

i am working on a local server (i have a test site),

i want to restore the database back to how it was when you first started.
how to reset the WordPress database to default settings.

i think: WordPress stores all the website content in a database.
That said: i guess that this includes all that following things like: posts, pages, media file data, plugin and theme settings, and more.

Well - how to achieve this.

btw: i do not want to use plugins.

look forward to hear from you.

regards
Tanger

Keith

Sorry, Tanger - I have tried Wordpress just once and hope never to use it again!  I find writing HTML far easier. 
Some utility software have a "reset to default" somewhere in the menus, although I expect you have already searched for that.

So I can't offer you any other advice this time.  Perhaps other members can help. 

Keith

Brian000

Hi,

I no longer use Wordpress either, so consider the below as a general rule, for applications which use MySQL/MariaDB as their default backend.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, backup your database and at least your config files (all files if you can too)!
I'LL ALSO RECOMMEND to test the backups; by creating a second database, and importing the database export, then modifying the config files and testing the results.  After all - even a good backup has very little value if you're unable to use it! :)

Essentially, you just want to remove everything and start again.......  your options are usually 1 of 2:

1) Because you may have added/created files, and those can cause unexpected problems in the future, the best options is likely to be removing everything and going through the installation process all over again (consider using a different installation and data directory, and a different database - which means you wont need to delete any of you old files) - and result in 2 separate environments, both running at the same time.

2) If you can't do that, then you will need to remove your data files and your config files, before going through the initial setup process again (while you may be able to reuse the same database name, I'd suggest using a different one - or deleting it first).  Most systems, will/should create a new database and all the necessary tables along with any initial data. This would give you a (single) fresh/new environment.

Installing manually is often discouraged by systems like Wordpress, because they perform validation during automated setup process, and that includes server details which Wordpress certainly requires. Therefore, while you may find the SQL on Github (or where ever) you may find it difficult to manually setup the data required).

Hope this helps....

rincon

hello and good day dear Brian000

first of all - many many thanks for the reply and for sharing your insights, ideas and tipps. I appreciate this alot.

Essentially, you just want to remove everything and start again.......  your options are usually 1 of 2:

Quote1) Because you may have added/created files, and those can cause unexpected problems in the future, the best options is likely to be removing everything and going through the installation process all over again (consider using a different installation and data directory, and a different database - which means you wont need to delete any of you old files) - and result in 2 separate environments, both running at the same time.

agreed - this is a good idea. Using a different db is a good choice.  Here i put the newest version of WP - the 5.8.2 ( note; 5.9 will be released in one month. I cant wait to get this one - but at the moment i work with 5.8.2

Quote2) If you can't do that, then you will need to remove your data files and your config files, before going through the initial setup process again (while you may be able to reuse the same database name, I'd suggest using a different one - or deleting it first).  Most systems, will/should create a new database and all the necessary tables along with any initial data. This would give you a (single) fresh/new environment.

i work on a rootserver which is maintained by a friend. So i am able to create a new db and so on.

i will create backups of the db first.

dear Brian000 many thanks for all your tipps and ideas and for the sharing of your experience and knowledge

this is a awesome place - and i am happy to be able to talk about all the issues i have

have a great day

regards
Tanger ;)