Author Topic: Should I try Linux?  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Should I try Linux?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:09 pm »
Mmm, Linux will be able to read your Windows partition, so the easy answer is just to store files you want to share on the Windows half of your system, then mount your Windows system under Linux.

Don't know if it still does this, but once upon a time (when I still played with Windows on occasion) Ubuntu would automatically see / offer to mount windows systems .. take a look in "Places" -> "Computer" Under Linux ..

If you've a modernish computer with a reasonable amount of memory, you can run Windows under KVM ... but then GIMP is way better than Photoshop anyway .. ;)

Here's a copy of Windows XP (and indeed in the background Windows 2000 too!) running on my Linux box on Ununtu 10.04. (click for a bigger piccy)

Windows on Linux - Click for a bigger picture
Windows on Linux - Click for a bigger picture
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:50:02 pm by Mad Penguin »

Offline jodix

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »
ah great, thank you :D probably keep my pictures on the windows side, easiest way to get around it :)

thanks again ^^

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »
Quote from: Mad Penguin
Don't know if it still does this, but once upon a time (when I still played with Windows on occasion) Ubuntu would automatically see / offer to mount windows systems .. take a look in "Places" -> "Computer" Under Linux ..

Yup still does (offer Windows partitions in "Computer"), or you can use gnome-volume-manager to automount them at boot-up
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:22:55 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Sophia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My Linux Adventure
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »
I said to myself I would not come back and post until I had got the thing working. I am pleased to say that, though it took me 2 days, I have done it, finally it is booting from the USB.

If anyone cares to know, I care to share how it went in ridiculous amounts of detail. If that sounds incredibly dull, look away now.

First of all I decided to go for Mint, so I went and got universal usb installer and the mint 9 .iso. I went through the process of putting it on the USB disk. The computer stuck at "verifying DMI pool data".
Then I tried reinstalling, first with universal again, and then with Linux Live USB creator. Same thing. Using the Virtual Box on the USB now I tried to start it in windows, no luck, just a recurring error message which I have written down somewhere, but alas cannot seem to find right now.

So I figured, I'll try a different "distro" (hehe, that'll take a while to roll off the tounge I think). I next went for Fedora, I can't really say why, anyway the Linux Live USB creator recognised Fedora 12 better than it had recognised Mint 9, which was promising. However, the same problem occured with booting up "verifying dmi pool data". However to my delight it worked in the Virtual Box, so this gave me the energy to continue.

Next I downloaded HP USB Disk Storage Format tool and ran the USB drive through that, then reinstalled, but alas, no luck, in fact now my computer seemed not to recognise it could boot from the USB anymore. I was confused, I reinstalled and reformatted a few times to no avail. I tested a different USB drive which the computer recognised, and then I realised something - the different USB drive had a different label in "my computer" than did the one I had formatted, despite them being from the same place, the same brand etc. I restarted my computer hit F11 and went not to "removables" but to "harddrives" lo and behold there was my USB drive.

And so I went back to windows, put Fedora back on, restarted AGAIN, and... yay.

So now I am in Fedora, and as you can see, Firefox (and my connection to our home network) is working just fine (which means if I can't figure out what to do next I can always google it  ;))

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
Mmm, it is an unfortunate fact that not all USB drives are created equal. Once upon a time I authored a Linux distro designed specifically for use on flash drives and used to make up keys to send out to people. As a result I used to buy quite a few keys from Amazon, all 256Mb and once I'd found a type I was happy with that worked properly, I stuck to it.

One day after placing the standard order, a slightly different 'shaped' key arrives and I was told on querying this that it was the same unit, just in a slightly updated case. So I stuck the keys in the cupboard as 'stock' until more requests came in.

3 months later after other supplies had depleted, I used the first of the new keys only to find, hundreds of keys down the line, THIS one would not boot .. on any of my production or duplication machines. I tried all the keys in the batch - same. I called Amazon, they replaced the batch - same. We then entered an argument that went something along the lines of "these don't look like the keys on the website, and they don't work like the keys on the website".

To cut a long story short, after trading standards stepped in and slapped Amazon around a bit, I did get a full refund, but I never did learn how to tell "which" types of USB key were the type that would boot on a standard PC BIOS , and which type would not.

http://www.flashlinux.org.uk
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flashlinux/

I still maintain it looks pretty good for 2004 .. it had over a million downloads in it's day .. *sob*  :'(

Offline Sophia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »
Well this whole running from the USB thing is not going to work for me as a long time solution (heh I ruined the last install but in the morning I'm going to install it again). I've decided to get a cheap portable hard drive (250GB) and install it properly (not as a "LiveCD") on that so I can make it work better on my machine (it was working fine, but just problems with my videocard, which are apparantly well reported, but the solution offered doesn't work with the USB because some files that need not to be are read only - at least if I am getting the right end of the stick...).
Anyway, I think that will work, and I'll be able to move pretty much everything except XP to that drive freeing up all the space of the XP drive for games. YAY. (Oblivion and Planescape Torment, here I come!). Fedora seemed simple enough to do normal things with, except the videocard thing, and I think I can make it work with a little google + a little trial and error so I don't feel overly daunted.

It's been a fun filled few days though, so I have to thank you for your help advice and encouragement. (And frankly I should have bought a cheap portable hard drive ages ago, I don't know why it took this much to make me do it).

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:04 pm »
I've not had my portable drive all that long, and then only to act as storage for a media player .... :) 

Must admit I was a little surprised and indeed dubious about the prices, £9 + hard drive (which I initially pulled from a broken Xbox 360) didn't really seem like 'enough' for a complete external USB hard drive setup. Works tho'!  :)

Offline Sophia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 10:56:39 am »
I went to the uni library and took out a book calling itself "Linux: Pocket Guide, essential commands".
Now I am trying them out one by one.
And going "yay, it works".
LOL, because what would I expect, of course it works :p
This is fun.

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 11:10:23 am »
Next thing to try; download a copy of Google Chrome for Linux, it's just come out of Beta, released version now available!
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal