Updates:

You can now choose from a number of pre-installed themes

Drivers compatability

Started by yabba333, September 17, 2010, 04:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yabba333

Hi,

i am currently running an Acer Aspire M1100 with viste (horrible i know but it is what i got) and i a m just wandering if there is anyway to remove windows and jujst have linux?

if i need windows to run linux then it doesnt matter but if i could get rid of it then that would be for the best :)

if i do then would i need to re-install drivers?

UnixAnt

First of all, Linux & Windows are 2 totally different operating systems.  One does not need the other in order to work on your hardware.

If you are absolutely sure you want to remove Windows altogether, the simplest way to do this would be:

--Back up any data you want to keep to an external device (USB Hard drive, USB flash drive, DVD, etc).
--Download the ISO image of a popular Linux distribution such as Ubuntu or Fedora.
--Burn this ISO to a blank CD-ROM and boot your machine from it.
--When the installer begins, you have the option of keeping your existing OS (In this case, Vista) and dual-booting, or wiping your hard disk clean and installing ONLY Linux.

Linux will detect your hardware and install drivers automatically.  You shouldn't need to go searching for drivers and update these yourself.

Whether you choose to dual boot between Windows & Linux, or have a 100% Linux system, I'm sure you will be suitably impressed with the Linux operating system.  Give it a try, and let us know how you get on  :D

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Have you already got Linux installed?

What UnixAnt says is correct, with the caveat that if Ubuntu was installed using the WUBI installer, it will have been installed to a directory on your Windows partition... so deleting your Windows partition will kill Ubuntu as well... this ONLY applies if you installed Ubuntu with WUBI, or Linux Mint with Mint4Win.

But no, Linux (including Ubuntu and Mint) doesn't *need* Windows at all.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk