Author Topic: Newbie here. Firewall advice.  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Toonman

• Freeing the World form the Microsoft scurge!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Newbie here. Firewall advice.
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:21 am »
I have finally tired of windows (viruses, malware etc) and I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 for netbook  as a usb standalone (not hard disk installed).  I would like to try online banking.  On windows I have Kaspersy internet suite, ani-virus, firewall etc.  Is it safe to just log on to my bank account.   :-\

Many thanks

Ps I'm a photography freak so I'm looking forward to trying the Gimp and Ufraw under Linux..... :)

Adam
Life is for living.  RIP Keith Floyd.   ;)

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Re: Newbie here. Firewall advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
Well, I don't run any sort of anti-virus / anti-malware software - and I still have money in my account :)

Assuming you are using a NAT router - this is all you need for general home access ...

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »
Linux and online banking...

Linux browsers use the same encryption as Windows and Macs, so once your data is sent from your PC it's exactly AS secure.

But most data theft occurs before this point... the data is usually "harvested" by viruses/malware and/or keyloggers, and is then transmitted to the thieves... there are no known viruses/malware in the wild for Linux.

That said, be aware that some banks (notably Nationwide) do NOT automatically cover you for online fraud protection unless you use a "supported" browser/OS combination (see thier Online Banking Promise), and Linux is specifically excluded from this !!!... I thought this was a joke when I first heard it, but see here:
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/troubleshooting/browserSupport/default.htm
(Unbelievably, they don't even specify a *need* to have antivirus/anti-malware software running in Windows to automatically qualify)

So it would probably be a good idea to check with your bank first.

This is NOT because Linux is less secure... it's pretty much universally accepted to be the MOST secure... the London Stock Exchange switched to Linux, and I'm pretty sure they deal with the banks on a regular basis ;) ... it's more a reflection of the fact that the banks policy makers don't understand it, and haven't spent the time to test it.

Strange eh, specially when you consider there is a good chance their own servers probably run Linux.

As for Firewalls, as MP points out... as long as you're sat behind a NAT router, there is no need for a firewall.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:01:44 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Toonman

• Freeing the World form the Microsoft scurge!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »
Many thanks for the replies.

Adam    :)
Life is for living.  RIP Keith Floyd.   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal