Author Topic: My general help questions  (Read 21944 times)

Offline Smither

• Certified youtube browser
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My general help questions
« on: March 20, 2010, 02:34:53 pm »
I've noticed I ask a lot of questions, most of which don't warrent a new topic, so I made this topic.
(Currently dual-booting 7 (64bit) & Ubuntu Studio (64bit) on a 4GB Intel Core 2 Duo machine with D-link wireless & an 8800.)

- First, Wine.
I know it's been explained to me before, but I still didn't quite get it. How do I fully switch from latest version to stable version? (and visa versa for future reference.) I've tried just using the Ubuntu Software centre, but it somehow doesn't fully remove either, so I'm left with a stable version that won't run itself, and a latest version that won't run the programs I want to run (Steam, specifically that chat feature & the Touhou games).

- Second, Firefox add-ons.
At the moment, I have the download status bar, Java, various adobe things & Foxit reader on 7 (used to have No-script & Foxy proxy for security in XP, but I don't really know how they work and now no-script is getting annoying & after turning Foxy proxy on, nothing worked) and on Ubuntu I only have a flash player & a pdf reader.
What does everyone recomend for Linux and (if I may ask) Windows?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:37:46 pm by Smither »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My general help questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:58:55 pm »
WINE:
To COMPLETELY remove WINE, uninstall it from the synaptic package manager (NOT the software centre), mark it for 'complete removal', and then go to your 'home' directory, and delete the .wine directory (this directory is hidden, so you will have to enable 'show hidden files' from 'View' on the toolbar) .

Then reinstall the version you want (preferably from the synaptic package manager) then open a terminal and type:
Code: [Select]
winecfg
to configure WINE (and recreate the .wine dir).

BE AWARE: deleting the .wine directory will delete ALL the windows programs that you previously installed with wine, and the wine configuration files.

As for FireFox... I don't use firefox anymore, Google Chrome is MUCH faster
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:05:18 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Smither

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll have to start actually trying the solutions people give me. ^^

Anyway, new story. I'm back at home now and I'd try some things out while I'm here.

- Third, connecting.
I've got Windows7 to connect to our BT voyager router (after a lot of bother then eventually realizing we just need to enter the code on the bottom of the router), but I'm having problems with Ubuntu.
(click to show/hide)

Any help?

- Fourth, Firefox.
Foxy proxy and No script are giving me real grief now, and disabling them makes it worse. 4 out of 5 times, after I post on any forum, the post gets lost and I can't recover it. :(

- Fifth, where the fun begins. BD
We've had this Dell dimension 3100 since about 2004, and I've decided to try and convert my family (who are all PCs, even though all our relatives are macs) to Linux by getting Ubuntu to work on it.
(click to show/hide)
It still runs aggravatingly slow, though it's better now than it was about 2 hours ago before updating, and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to the software to make it run any better. I read on another website that there can be some problems with the driver. I'm hoping to get everything to run better than XP.

- Sixth, users & sharing.
There are now 4 computers in this house all using the same Router.
(click to show/hide)
If, say, they all used Ubuntu, would it be possible to create some sort of network? I've never bothered with the concept of users until now, even back in XP, we all just used the same admin account.
a) I want there to be 6 accounts on this computer at least (not including the root), one for every member of this house with the same access as I do now with the default accout and a guest account. I also want this account deleted because it's name as the root password (yes, I was an idiot). Just so everyone can stay logged in to they're own email/facebook/etc. without having to log out of everything whenever someone wants to use the computer.
b) After that, would it be possible to let everyone sign in from every computer in this house? To whatever extent thats achievable . . .

- Seventh, email.
I can loggin to my yahoo chat account with Empathy, but would it be possible to do the same with my yahoo email & Evolution (or Thunderbird)? Would this also be possible for my brother & sister who use MSN/hotmail?

Offline goldendragonuk

• WTF is Windows!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:32:21 pm »

- Sixth, users & sharing.
There are now 4 computers in this house all using the same Router.
If, say, they all used Ubuntu, would it be possible to create some sort of network? I've never bothered with the concept of users until now, even back in XP, we all just used the same admin account.
a) I want there to be 6 accounts on this computer at least (not including the root), one for every member of this house with the same access as I do now with the default accout and a guest account. I also want this account deleted because it's name as the root password (yes, I was an idiot). Just so everyone can stay logged in to they're own email/facebook/etc. without having to log out of everything whenever someone wants to use the computer.
b) After that, would it be possible to let everyone sign in from every computer in this house? To whatever extent thats achievable . . .

i just set up a home network used an old box i had lying around used that as a server put all the files we need on that one and then we have our own accounts on our own computers and connect through a network drive for the shares

my server is linux wifes laptop is windows and my pc at current is windows and although had some issues with shared folder untill i learned about nautilus (thanks mark) all seems to be running smoothly (wifes using wireless on her laptop to connect to server). also on the server each user (me and wife) has their own home directories where we can store stuff :) wasnt to hard to setup. i used samba to link the linux machine to the windows

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
Third Connecting:

As long as you've not deleted/overwritten the network settings for your home network, all you should have to do is disable the proxy settings in firefox.

Open firefox then click Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Network > then the 'Settings' button under 'Connection'...then put the tick in the 'No Proxy' box, and click OK.

Before you put the tick in the 'No Proxy' box write down the proxy settings in case it removes them.

Your internet should now work at home...to make it work at work again you will have to put the tick back in the 'Manual proxy configuration' box

Or use a different browser for home, such as Opera or Chrome, 'without' a proxy server set.

Another option would be to add another user for home or work, and have different settings in Firefox for each user... which is probably the best option, as you can change the setting for anything when logged in as 'work'(user) and then when you log back in as 'normal' user your setting will not have changed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:52:20 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:50 pm »
Fifth, where the fun begins:

If you are running Ubuntu Karmic 9.10, the Belkin Wireless G USB adapter will be detected as a Ralink rt73 (this is the chip used) and will work immediately... This adapter IS supported in 9.10, so this is unlikely to be the cause of the slowdown.

I take it you mean the internet is slow?... things to check:
how far from the router (signal strength)
is anyone else connected to the net, and what are they doing (downloading large files)
if there is another PC on the net, is it a windows PC, and are you SURE it is malware free (malware often uses bandwidth)

Make sure all other PCs are switched off, and see if your connection is still slow, if not it isn't a problem with this PC.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:31:55 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:09:07 pm »
Sixth, users & sharing:

If all you want is internet access from every computer, you don't 'need' them networking (though it can be done), as long as you have a router, the router should take care of network address translation (NAT) and give them all internet access.

Multiple users on a single computer - Yes this can be done very easily too.

Can you let us know exactly what you are trying to achieve.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:33:25 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:50 pm »
Seventh, email

Yes both Evolution or Thunderbird can connect to Yahoo email, as either IMAP or POP3 clients, but hotmail is different, currently there are NO IMAP server settings available for hotmail though I do believe you can connect as a POP3 client.

Apparently there ARE IMAP server settings for Hotmail+, but not 'vanilla' Hotmail
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:38:28 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline goldendragonuk

• WTF is Windows!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:04 am »
Seventh, email

Yes both Evolution or Thunderbird can connect to Yahoo email, as either IMAP or POP3 clients, but hotmail is different, currently there are NO IMAP server settings available for hotmail though I do believe you can connect as a POP3 client.

Apparently there ARE IMAP server settings for Hotmail+, but not 'vanilla' Hotmail

this is correct currently there are no IMAP settings for users on free hotmail (tried setting up email other day) had to use pop3 which was annoying so pretty much ditched hotmail and used my google account which also has IMAP settings. (don't fancy paying M$ for something that's available free)

just an added note for "Fifth, where the fun begins:"

try restarting your router this generally fixes alot of probs with sluggish internet connections
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:18:50 am by goldendragonuk »

Offline Smither

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:48:25 am »
Fourth:
Ok, I'm still having issues with posts being lost but it's less frequent (though still mostly on this forum :( ).

Fifth:
Seems our internet was borking yesterday :/. I guess I'm just too used to a dual-core and the Celeron is the problem for me.

Sixth:
After sleeping on it, I've decided to scrap the multicomputer thing. At the moment, there are 3 people (mother, brother & sister) using that computer and I only think that number will go down (well, I will occasionally use it to do maintanece like backing-up). I want it so that when each of them login, they're automatically logged into their chat, email, mybook, facespace or whatevertheybloodyuse, and so they (especially my mum with her ebay & amazon acounts) don't to have to worry about signing in and out of 6 different places everytime there's a change of user. Also would be nice if changing the appearence of one acount changes it for the others ('casue that really bothers my brother).
I want there to be only one set of programs that everyone can use and everyone can add to for everyone to use, for all users to be locked out of other's acounts, files, and everything specific to that user, but for everyone to have the root access like I do now on my computer (because mum might phone me with a problem and I'd need to get her to do it from her acount when everyone else is out). So 4 users, each with the enough access to fix any problems or add programs but no access to others acounts, but only one of them (mine) that can change users, groups & maybe unlock other acounts for when someone inevitable forgets their password.

Seventh:
IMAP, POP3? What? O~o;
I think I'll deal with this a little later . . . ^^;

Offline goldendragonuk

• WTF is Windows!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »
Sixth:
After sleeping on it, I've decided to scrap the multicomputer thing. At the moment, there are 3 people (mother, brother & sister) using that computer and I only think that number will go down (well, I will occasionally use it to do maintanece like backing-up). I want it so that when each of them login, they're automatically logged into their chat, email, mybook, facespace or whatevertheybloodyuse, and so they (especially my mum with her ebay & amazon acounts) don't to have to worry about signing in and out of 6 different places everytime there's a change of user. Also would be nice if changing the appearence of one acount changes it for the others ('casue that really bothers my brother).
I want there to be only one set of programs that everyone can use and everyone can add to for everyone to use, for all users to be locked out of other's acounts, files, and everything specific to that user, but for everyone to have the root access like I do now on my computer (because mum might phone me with a problem and I'd need to get her to do it from her acount when everyone else is out). So 4 users, each with the enough access to fix any problems or add programs but no access to others acounts, but only one of them (mine) that can change users, groups & maybe unlock other acounts for when someone inevitable forgets their password.

In ubuntu karmic (cant say for any other system only used ubuntu) you can go to System>Administration>Users and Groups (click the keys at the bottom type password and you can edit remove add users)

from here there's a few settings you can change ie for access purposes. may i suggest not giving root with root they can change accounts passwords and if knowledgeable enough (or even a quick google search) they can enter other family members folders if you don't allow them root this isn't possible.

Im sure i read somewhere you can actually restrict what commands to certain groups but if i recall it requires a long and painful process.

Best thing to do set it up correctly the first time and you shouldn't have an issues with not giving them root access.

as for remembering passwords for ebay, amazon etc just let firefox remember them each visit that way when your mum opens up ebay will auto log her in :)

Seventh:
IMAP, POP3? What? O~o;
I think I'll deal with this a little later . . . ^^;

these are just email protocols

Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
Post Office Protocol (POP)

For example you have folders for certain emails to be kept in like receipts etc. Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo and no doubt all the little email providers allow this

With IMAP set up, this will allow you to see the whole folder structure you have and keep all email within them folders.

However POP3 doesn't see the folders just the emails which will result in a mess of emails not knowing which folder they belong into etc.

Hope that explained it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:43:24 pm by goldendragonuk »

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:50 pm »
Sixth:

You are asking for 2 conflicting things here... first you say give everyone root access, then you say lock them out of other users accounts... root access specifically means 'FULL access to everything with FULL privileges' so effectively you can have one or the other.
It would be possible to unlock/activate the root account, then lock down user accounts requiring them to log out then log back on as root, but even then you would be giving them the root password and tempting them to log in as root every time for added 'power' (which is dangerous).
Another way for you to be able to 'fix' their problems from 'your' house without giving them root access would be to create an 'admin' account (only you know password) with root access, and RDP into it from your house, and lock down their user accounts.

When you say automaticaly logged in to their chat etc... just autostart these apps in individual user accounts.

As far as I'm aware, without root access there is no way to have one users appearance changes act system wide.

Same for program installation...without root access... no way to install programs system wide.

So your first decision really needs to be, do you want to allow them system wide root access... they would still have their own home folders/settings, but 'could' if they wanted to do ANYTHING.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Smither

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 02:02:28 am »
Gah, have to remember to come to this place more.
So your first decision really needs to be, do you want to allow them system wide root access... they would still have their own home folders/settings, but 'could' if they wanted to do ANYTHING.

Sixth:
OK, easier question.
I have a mother, brother & sister who all share the same half-decade old Dell Dimension.
My brother is warming to Linux because A, it's working now, and B, it's the first option in the GRUB. :|

Currently, they all use that same Admin acount for everyday use (lol, wtf MS?), and they all have lots of websites they sign into. Bearing in mind that my mum has difficulty remembering her +20 passwords, and stays signed into most, yet has to sign out of some crucial ones for peace of mind, what would you recomend?
Also, is it possible to transfer all her favourites/bookmarks from Win IE to Linux Firefox?

Eighth:
(click to show/hide)

So then I had the idea to use Ubuntu Studio's Jack. I could start a Touhou game in window mode (if it doesn't crash linux completely, which it has done), get wine to send the game's audio to the Jack audio server instead of the output jacks, then record it to an audio file of my choice, play the game to get the SFX I want to play, then we could edit & convert that file later...

I just want to know, is this possible, or am I asking too much of myself & my computer?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:07:53 am by Smither »

Offline goldendragonuk

• WTF is Windows!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 02:26:13 am »
Also, is it possible to transfer all her favourites/bookmarks from Win IE to Linux Firefox?

just wrote this out quick but thought i would add it to tips and tricks section for others

http://forum.linux.co.uk/index.php/topic,492.0.html

just follow the steps quickest way is using a USB thumb drive.

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 05:10:47 am »
To capture audio directly from your soundcard to a file:

First create a file in you home directory called :
.asoundrc   (make sure you include the full stop)
if one doesn't already exist (remember, you will need to enable 'show hidden files')

Copy the following to the .asoundrc file:
pcm.copy {
type plug
slave {
pcm hw
}
route_policy copy
}
and save the file.

Now in a terminal type:
alsamixer
then hit the 'tab' key  once to select 'Capture' (at top).

now use the arrow keys to move to 'Capture' (at bottom) and hit the spacebar to select it, now use the PgUp/PgDn keys to raise the volume to about 33%

Now use the arrow keys again to move to 'Mix' and hit the spacebar to select it.

Now if you type:
arecord -d 10 -c 2 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -t wav -D copy foobar.wav
in a terminal, it will record 10 seconds of audio from your soundcard to a file called foobar.wav and place it in your home directory.

If you require longer than 10 seconds, just change the '-d' parameter in the command from '10' to your required length.

If you aren't sure how long you want to record, set the '-d' parameter to any large value... say 1800 (half hour)
This way when you have reached the end of the recording you can just hit 'Ctrl-C' to quit.

BE AWARE - The audio is saved in .WAV format, so 10 secs = approx 1.5mb... 30mins = approx 270mb
And whilst recording make sure the volume in your system tray isn't set too high... about 30% will do
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:54:21 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal