Author Topic: Re: [Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid] Move the Minimize, Maximize, Close buttons to the Right.  (Read 5330 times)

Offline kirrus

• Sysadmin / Linux Tech Support
    • View Profile
    • Kirrus' Blog
    • Awards
Remember the target audience for ubuntu, and the read write web / facebook lesson. Getting users to understand the term 'operating system' is enough of a struggle, let alone trying to get them to understand the concept of a 'kernel'.

Ubuntu is designed for the masses, and the website and terminology usage reflects that.

Personally, I'm not convinced, I think that a distro is a distinct operating system. Yes, the Linux kernel is a part of that, but without all the other programs, it is as much use as a wet blanket. By your logic, we should call it GNU/Linux/Xserver/Gnome...

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Or (!) they could call it what it's been called since 1991, which is a Linux distribution .. or (!) they could adopt the terminology the big boys seem to have chosen and go with platform. Both of which seem more technically accurate than Operating System ..

I guess it would have to be the latter as they seem to be trying to avoid using the term Linux ..

If I put a Linux kernel, bash and busybox on a CD or USB key such that you can insert it into a PC and boot it up to a working 'shell' - is this an Operating System ?

According to textbook definitions - yes.

If I then add 1G of software, we then propose to still call it an Operating System .. even tho' it's a huge package that contains an Operating System .. ?!

Back to the car analogies;

If I buy a Car with a Caravan attached to the back (as a 'package'), I would not propose to call the package a "Car", I would propose to call it a package containing a Car and a Caravan as there are two clearly defined entities within the package. Choosing the name of one entity to describe the entire package firstly misrepresents the contents of the package, and secondly belittles the value or significance of the second entity.

By your logic, we should call it GNU/Linux/Xserver/Gnome...

Well, no .. how many packages do you see out there that take their name from the sum of their components? Typically people choose a package name to which either reflects a brand or somehow represents the package contents. This name might contain a reference to one or more components, but to name the entire package after ONE component seems akin to going out to buy a car and asking for a 1200cc engine!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal