Author Topic: Firefox 8.0.1 and Flash compatability problems  (Read 4398 times)

Offline stvhp

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Firefox 8.0.1 and Flash compatability problems
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:33:10 am »
Hi
I am running an Acer Aspire One with Linpus Lite v 13
Recently we were invited to upgrade our Firefox 7 to Firefox 8 ........ we did and unfortunately it did not go well !! :(
Initially when opening a page eg BBC News the main page would open but the exchange of information immediately after would be extremely slow .... up to 30 seconds, where any Firefox screen / activity would be locked
I am a beginner with Linux and after a while, with the help of many forums I was able to disable the Flash plug in (both v10 and v11).
Everything is now at a good speed but I cannot get any video content
I tried reloading the Adobe plugins etc but this did not improve matters ..... and I cannot seem to find the Firefox program to uninstall it and go back to v7

I would like to ask for a simple solution ...

1) Can I solve the Adobe Flash Plugin problem easily ??
or
2) Can I use another Plugin instead of Adobe Flash ??
or
3) Can I unistall Firefox 8 easily and reinstall v 7 ??

I will need simple step by step instructions if possible due to my inexperience   :P

Thank you in advance to anyone who can put be on a good path !!!

S

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Firefox 8.0.1 and Flash compatability problems
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Which instructions did you follow to upgrade Firefox in the first place ? .. Macles ?

If you followed Macles or My instructions for upgrading Firefox, then Firefox 8 will be in the /opt/firefox directory .. you can test this by opening a terminal (with Firefox closed) and entering:
Code: [Select]
/opt/firefox/firefox
then hitting enter .. if Firefox 8 starts, you know it's in the right place.

Then these instructions will get you back to Firefox 7:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9707.msg69236#msg69236

If I were you I'd seriously consider ditching Linpus Lite in favor of PeppermintOS (Two) .. there's a tutorial (including the reasons why you should) for installing PeppermintOS on an AA1 here (click the link below):
Tutorial - Installing PeppermintOS Two on an Acer Aspire One AOA110L ZG5
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:21:11 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline stvhp

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:23:22 am »
Hi Mark

Thanks for the quick reply - I am really impressed with your clear help and in general with the Linux community so far being a freshman !!

When I followed your check - FF started but rather stupidly I forgot to check whether it was V8 or not

Previously using the add/remove function I could only find V2 in the list up .... (which I did not touch !!) so I am not sure whether v2 would have started using your instruction - I need to check this point tonight)

How did I upgrade to FF8 ?? -  I did not knowingly use any instructions to upgrade from FF7 - to FF8

Rather simply we received a window saying " would you like to upgrade to FF8?" from Mozilla ....... we were rather busy at the time so we accepted without thinking too much ...... big mistake !!

Therefore I cannot answer your question re Macles etc

Over the weekend I will try the reversal to FF7 ..... I assume I should use second set of the instructions as if I have already upgraded to FF6 etc "How to UPGRADE FF4, FF5, or FF6 to Firefox 7"

I can understand your suggestion to change the OS and thank you for the reference to the tutorial... can you just let me know three things :-

will I need to reload my data (address books, contact lists, photos etc etc)
will I need to reload my applications - eg Browser, Skype etc
will I have to change to another email application (currently I am using the default "aspire" program")

many thanks and have a good weekend

Steve

• View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:37 am »
1) DO NOT under any circumstances remove Firefox 2 through Add/Remove .. this WILL break your system irreparably.

2) check if:
/etc/firefox/firefox
starts Firefox 8

if, step 2 starts Firefox 8 .. don't use the second (upgrade) instructions .. use the FULL install instructions, skipping the chown instruction that's in the red edit .. that way, it won't update to Firefox 8 again.

I'm going to lay out the instructions again here ...

To backup Firefox 8 (just in case):
sudo mv -v /opt/firefox /opt/firefox-backup

Now use wget to download Firefox 7.0.1:
wget "https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/7.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2"
(Non en-GB versions can be found here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/7.0.1/linux-i686
but you'll have to adjust the wget command accordingly .. if you're unsure how, just ask)
so if you want the Dutch (nl) version of Firefox 7 you'd change the above command to:
wget "https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/7.0.1/linux-i686/nl/firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2"

Extract the just downloaded file to /opt:
sudo tar -jxvf firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2 --directory /opt

Create a plugins directory:
sudo mkdir /opt/firefox/plugins

[EDIT]
Skip the next command, and continue after the "END EDIT" if you don't want Firefox to automatically update itself to Firefox 8 .. some people have reported major issues with Firefox 8 in Linpus Lite.

Change the /opt/firefox directory owner to user:
sudo chown user -R /opt/firefox
[END EDIT]

Rename the original firefox shell script (just in case you ever want to replace it):
sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/original-firefox

Add a symlink to point to Firefox 7:
sudo ln -fs /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Finally , link all old plugins to the new firefox/plugins directory:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /opt/firefox/plugins

REBOOT the AA1 and test the browser is now back to Firefox 7

Finally, if Firefox 7 is now working .. you can delete the Firefox 8 backup with:
sudo rm -r /opt/firefox-backup

I don't know how you disabled the flashplayer .. but if you have any problems getting it back in Firefox 7, let me know and we'll fix it.

I can understand your suggestion to change the OS and thank you for the reference to the tutorial... can you just let me know three things :-

will I need to reload my data (address books, contact lists, photos etc etc)

YES you would need to copy any files/documents/pics/etc. you need to a second USB stick BEFORE the Peppermint installation .. the Firefox and Thunderbird (email) settings can be copied across by moving the entire (hidden) ~/.mozilla and ~/.thunderbird directories .. this *should* preserve all settings and email.

will I need to reload my applications - eg Browser, Skype etc

Yes and No .. Peppermint will come with a lot of pre-installed applications, but the ones YOU will want will have to be installed .. but this can all be done with a single command (see the instructions).

will I have to change to another email application (currently I am using the default "aspire" program")

Linpus Lite uses an early version of Thunderbird as the email client (version 2 I think) .. if you follow the instruction, you will be installing the latest version of Thunderbird (version 8 )

along with
Flashplayer 11
VLC media player
LibreOffice Calc (speadsheets .. a more up-to-date version of the OpenOffice app that's in Linpus Lite)
LibreOffice Writer (word processor .. a more up-to-date version of the OpenOffice app that's in Linpus Lite)
Pidgin (instant messenger client)

Any other software you might want will be MUCH easier to install in Peppermint .. usually just a few mouse clicks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:21:28 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline stvhp

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:59:43 am »
Mark

SUCCESS  ;D

After a small issue where I muddled a 1 (one) with a lower case L it was very smooth (my eyesight and the easy mix up due to the fonts)

Thank you......

Now ... enough confidence for peppermint today .... or give up whilst the going is good ??!!

Regards

Steve

• View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »
You're welcome, happy to hear you're sorted :)

As for Peppermint, well *I* reckon it wipes the floor with Linpus Lite, but if Linpus is doing everything you want it to....

Maybe leave it till there's some software you want that you can't get on Linpus .. the choice is yours
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal