3G dongle on linux

I have a 3G dongle that comes with installation programmes for windows and Mac only.

I am aware (from browsing) that some people have got a 3G dongle working on linux but their explanations are beyond me as I’m a novice and they assume knowledge I haven’t got.

Having upgraded my AOA 110 to peppermint, I’m now wondering again if I can get the dongle working. It occurs to me that, from what (little) I’ve read, I could install wine and use it to install the dongle as a windows environment. Is this feasible or just a daft hope?

or should I go MiFi?

Can you tell us a little more about the 3G Dongle (Make, Model and Provider)?

With the Dongle plugged into a USB port
Open a terminal and type:

lsusb

and hit enter

And post back the results

Personally I would go for the MiFi, as that is what I use. The added benefit is that 4 more devices can be connected at the same time.

Yep, there’s a VERY good chance it’s supported in Linux … but DO NOT install the windows drivers/software in WINE.

Just plug the device in … open a terminal, and (as SeZo says) run:

lsusb

Then post back here what’s returned in the terminal.

If you already have a dongle, we can probably get it working … if on the other hand you haven’t got one and are wondering what to get … +1 for the MiFi :wink:

right! wilco both! (as I say - my notifications have stopped, sorry) will keep an eye on the forum now.

okay lsusb recognised 4 1.1 root hubs, one 2.0 root hub and webcam and the Huwai dongle

IT’s an E353 HSPA

The EXACT output from:

lsusb

would be handy … I just want to check the Vendor:Product ID’s are currently supported by usb-modeswitch before going through the setup :wink:

You can copy/paste directly from the terminal … either with your mouse/touchpad,

or with keyboard shortcuts …

Terminal -
Ctrl+Shift+C = Copy
Ctrl+Shift+V = Paste

In pretty much all other apps, just miss out the Shift key :wink:

phew, what a mission! still, here it is …

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 12d1:1506 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:d101 Suyin Corp. Acer CrystalEye Webcam
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Ok, it already appears to be switched to modem mode … have you tried clicking the NetworkManager icon by the clock in the system tray, then selecting “Edit Connections”, then selecting “Mobile Broadband”, then Selecting “Add”.

With a little luck it will walk you through the setup.

yes - that worked. I just have to find a piece of access info from my service provider to fill in and it would appear to be ready to go.

thanks - so simple! :slight_smile:

okay, I checked again and found the software proposed a single default for the info demanded - I used that and it worked fine. Many thanks again both.

to remove the dongle, I disabled GSM connection and simply unplugged. Is this all right? I couldn’t find how to ‘software disconnect’ a plugged in dongle prior to physical removal like I did with Linpus

Yup, just click the NetworkManager icon, select “disconnect” (or whatever it is to drop the connection) … and unplug :slight_smile:

[EDIT]

If it were a USB memory stick, or anything else with a mounted file system (USB HDD, SDcard, etc.), then you’d open the file manager, and click the corresponding unmount/eject arrow icon next to the device name (in the left hand column) prior to unplugging.