Almost a week now

Well; almost a week since I installed Linux Mint on my PC.My verdict ,so far,is that I think it is a very good OS,it has done virtually everything I wanted it to,have still to configure it for my printer,but that will be a job for Sunday morning.I have so far encountered no problems.If I want to install/upgrade to another version of Linux,I presume I can just put in the partitioned section of my hard drive.though,as the Americans say"if it aint broke,dont fix it. :D I dont see myself ever giving up Windows completely but running the 2 OS`s is IMHO a very good compromise to get the best of both worlds. Kenny

What printer do you have?
If you mean upgrade to a later version of Mint (eg. Mint8 → Mint9), it may be much easier than a complete reinstall, but if you mean change to another distribution (eg. Ubuntu, openSUSE, etc.) yes you are right.

By “best of both worlds” I guess you mean games, because other than games I can’t think of a single thing Windows is better at, and even that is more to do with the fact that games manufacturers don’t do Linux versions… Hopefully just a matter of time :wink:

(and of course if we’re talking games, consoles wipe the floor with PC’s anyway … :wink: )

That too :slight_smile:

Not a chance :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I currently have over 50 commercial games installed on my PC (only has Linux installed) and close to 100 opensource / freeware games that are excellent.

What printer do you have?
If you mean upgrade to a later version of Mint (eg. Mint8 → Mint9), it may be much easier than a complete reinstall, but if you mean change to another distribution (eg. Ubuntu, openSUSE, etc.) yes you are right.

The printers I have are Lexmarks; an X1180 and a Z738,I don`t know if I will have to download specific drivers or whether the generic ones will do.I am not anticipating any problems but I will find out for sure on Sunday,when I install the printer.I will almost certainly opt for the 738 as I have at least 7 spare ink carts for this,whereas my X1180 is all out :slight_smile: Kenny

Ok, you can look up specific support on the linuxprinting.org site, but generally speaking Lexmark are anti-Linux so you may have probleme.

If you get the chance, always aim for HP printers.

I could find nothing on the Lexmark site for either of these printers, although I did find Linux drivers for the X738, and after a bit of research it looks like these are the correct drivers for the Z738 printer, so if your printer drivers aren’t included with Mint (which I doubt they are), they can be downloaded here:
Lexmark Z738 Linux Drivers (ppd)

Download the PPD-Files-LMACE.tar.Z file and (if necessary) rename it to PPD-Files-LMACE.tar.gz then unpack it and read the Readme-Install.txt file.

Any future printer purchases for Linux… as MP says go for HP… particularly for All-In-Ones.

Have`nt yet tried to install my second Lexmark,but may be switching from them anyway as they are very heavy on ink usage.Though they give great quality output
Kenny