Another help request!!

Hi - yes it’s 4gb. Is peppermint a storage device? Do you mean to install this aswell as an SSD / SD card? And sorry - are SD and SSD cards 2 different things? I think I need to buy the simplest option that requires no technical know how please!

No … Peppermint is a Linux distribution.

An SDcard and an SSD are 2 TOTALLY different animals :wink:

an SSD is the internal drive (as fiitted when you bought the 701) … like a hard drive but with no moving parts.

an SDcard is an external storage card … like the one you put in digital cameras, and is MUCH slower than the internal SSD.

What I was saying is that if the problem is that your current Linux installation is messed up, you may not need to get anything beyond an SDcard which you can buy yourself (and just stick it in the slot on the side of your PC … then install Peppermint instead of your current OS.

Before going any further … what exactly is the problem you’re having that makes you think adding storage and RAM may solve ?

[EDIT]

If it’s a 701 4G (and not a 701 SD or 701 SDX) you cannot replace the internal SSD … ASUS (stupidly) decided it would be a good idea to solder the SSD directly onto the motherboard, so it’s not replaceable/upgradeable :frowning:

Hi - thanks - I got an SD card (PNY 8GB SDHC) and have just installed it. I tried putting in a USB stick, and as before it didn’t appear and couldn’t find it. I was able to save docs to the card (which comes up as MMC-SD) but only to the folder within it (partition1) - when I try to create a new folder within the card it says - you do not have permission to create that folder.
Any tips appreciated! Thanks

With the SD card inserted, can you send the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

and

df -h

and

mount

Hi - thanks - no Internet on eeepc so am copying …here goes!
fdisk: invalid option --1
Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ][-u]DISK change partition table
fdisk-l [b SSZ][-u] DISK list partition table(s)
Fdisk - s PARTITION give partition size(s) in blocks
Fdisk - v give f disk version
Here disk is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give start and end in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048- byte sectors

More to follow…

df -h
File system size used avail use % mounted on
Rootfs 1.4G 95M 1.3G 8% /
/dev/sdal 1.4G 95M 1.3G 8%. /
unionfs. 1.4G. 95M 1.3G 8% /
tmpfs. 249M 8.0K 249M 1%/dev/shm
tmpfs. 128M. 12K 128M 1%/tmp

Mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/ dev/sdal on / type ext2 (ro)
Unionfs on / type union fs (rw,dirs=/=rw:/=ro)
Proc on / proc type proc (rw)
Sysfs on/sys type sysfs (rw)
Devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
Tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
Tmpfs on / tmp type tmpfs (rw)
Usbfs on /proc/ bus/usb

type usbfs (rw)

Thanks

First command had no 1 in it, it was a lower case L … so can you run:

sudo fdisk -l

again, and post the output.

Disk /dev/sda: 4001 MB, 40001292288 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 486 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device boot. Start. End. Blocks. Id. System
/dev/sda1 1. 300 2409718+. 83. Linux
/dev/sda2. 301. 484 1477980. 83. Linux
/dev/sda3. 485. 485. 8032+. c. W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda4. 486. 486. 8032+. ef. EFI (FAT - 12/16/32)

More to follow…

Disk /dev/sdb: 8075 MB, 8075083776 bytes
189 heads, 39 sectors/track, 2139 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 7371 * 512 = 3773952 bytes

Device boot. Start. End. Blocks. Id. System
/dev/sdb1. 2. 2140. 7881728. b. W95 FAT32

Thanks…

Is the SDcard 8GB ?

And what are you trying to do … what is your final goal ?

Hi yes it’s 8GB SDHC card- I want to be able to save files onto / use existing files on USB sticks. At the moment USBs are not showing up so can’t access at all.
Also is it normal to be able to save only onto partition folder in SD card?
Thanks!

I’m fairly (but not 100%) sure the EeePC’s used a union file system to use one of the SDcard slot as expansion for the Home folder.

You cannot save files to / (root of the file sytem) whilst logged on as a regular user, or without root privileges … you can ONLY save to your Home folder.

Ignoring the fact that USB stick currently won’t mount … what is the problem you’re having with saving to your SDcard ?

How many SDcard slots does your EeePC have ? … I know on the Acer Aspire One (with Linpus Lite), only the left hand SD slot is used for Home folder expansion, the right hand SD slot acts as a normal SD card reader … maybe it’s the same on the EeePC ?

Hi - thanks, it just has one SD slot. I saved a test doc onto SD card and it saved and read ok. But - I saved a load of word docs / photos onto the SD card from a PC and now I can’t open it at all on my eee. I am trying to open it via file manager and it says: you do not have enough permissions to read /home/user/MMC-SD. When I put USB in a window pops up initially saying it’s there but then no icon for it appears and still can’t see it’s files.

Do I need to log in differently or get permissions somehow? Do you think I need to take it somewhere to get it fixed? Many thanks

No, you need to recursively take ownership of the SDcard … but first we need to find where it’s mounted

With that SDcard inserted, can you post the output from:

mount

[EDIT]

I’m putting this link here for future reference … seems Xandros may do things a little differently:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:sd_permissions

Hi
/home/user>mount
Rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/sdal on / type ext2 (ro)
Unionfs on / type union fs (rw,dirs=/=rw:/=ro)
Proc on /proc type proc (rw)
Sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
More…

Contd…
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbs (rw)

Also - is my operating system xandros? Or how do I find out?
Many thanks

Yes it probably is (a customised version of) Xandros … can you open a terminal and send the output from:

ls -a  /etc/udev/rules.d

It seems Xandros (on the EeePC) mounts the SDcards in your home folder as root, but then gives you (as a regular user) permission to read and write to it … so let’s see what happens if we follow the instructions in the link I added to my last posting to changing the permissions.

Send the output from the above commands, and we’ll go from there.

Can you also run:

kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules

and tell me if you can find a line that reads:-

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd[!0-9]", NAME="%k", MODE="0660", GROUP="floppy", SYMLINK+="disks/Removable/%k", RUN+="/usr/bin/usbstorageapplet zip %k"

?

My “real” advice would be to ditch Xandros and install Peppermint 3 which would be more up-to-date, and easier to fix if/when things like this go wrong (as it’s better documented because it’s Ubuntu based) … but I’m guessing you don’t want to hear that … am I right ?

Hi here is the output
./. 10-usbphone.rules. Z60_alsa-utils.rules
…/. 11-hplj10xx.rules. Z60_xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
025_libsane.rules. 50-xandros-udev.rules
030_ifplugd.rules. 99-iPod.rules
/home/user>kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules