We recently had a Virgin Media broadband outage that lasted approx 36hrs - a local issue, not at our property. That has now been fixed but I find that my internet speed is very slow, compared to that before the outage.
I’ve twice contacted Virgin 150 (20mins waiting, 10mins with operator, then had the call cut off both times before the issue was dealt with!!) I’ve gone through all their instructions ie: speedtesting, re-booting, factory re-set etc. to no avail.
My package gave me a stable 20Mbps download speed and about 2.7 upload speed and that is what I’ve had for about 2 years with no problems. After the outage, I’m getting 2.27Mbps download and 1.97 upload. Ping is @ 300 ms. This is causing major issues with system updates, especially if there are larger files involved. Before, the updates would download between 10 and 20 seconds, now it can be anything up to 20mins!
My rig has a wired ethernet connection (through D-Link homeplugs) and pinging my router returns -
richard@richard-H310M-S2V-2-0:~$ ping 192.168.0.1 -c 5
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.83 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.33 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=3.39 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=3.39 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=3.35 ms
--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.336/3.462/3.834/0.197 ms
which suggests the internal wiring 'tween rig and router is ok.
From the computer, Speedtest.net to Virgin's server in Manchester returns Ping 10ms, Download 2.89Mbps, Upload 2.00Mbps
Yet from my smartphone, Speedtest returns (wirelessly) Ping 24ms, Download 21.01Mbps, Upload 2.48mbps from the same server......!!
I'd expect the ping to be slower as it's wireless but the other figures suggest that the internet speed is ok and the issue is with my computer. I'm baffled, to be honest!
Any help would be good and thanks in advance.
Basically, I’m trying to find out where the fault (if any) lies, before I set off on a rant at Virgin! I must say I’m becoming a bit disappointed with VM, from having years of near flawless service there seems to be a different culture at work. Probably cost-cutting like many other companies, but that’s a different issue… Sign of the times :
Either with the Homeplugs connectivity (quite possible, but the ping figure is a puzzle) or my network settings/driver are wrong or have become skewed in some way, maybe through a recent update?
How do I test please, if the network set up is working properly and that I do have the correct driver?
Update: I’ve taken the Homeplugs out of the equation by moving the router back to the office and wired directly to the computer. Test is as follows -
Ping: 8ms, Download: 4.06Mbps, Upload: 1.99Mbps
So no improvement, which rules out the Homeplugs as the problem. So, it’s either my config and/or network driver that’s at fault, the hub itself is playing up, or Virgin have me ‘throttled’ for some reason. I’ve messaged Virgin Technical to get them to look into the hub but would still like to check my set-up, if poss, in the meantime.
I discovered that Network Manager was at fault by not handling the signal correctly, possibly as a result of the outage. To test that, I’ve swapped it out for WICD (enp4s0 in the list) and speeds now seem to be correct. I am monitoring at present and have a ticket with Virgin to test again from their end, just to be sure. It does look as though the driver is ok after all but I’d still like to check it and ensure it’s configured correctly also.