Browser bookmarks to desktop

How do I make a browser bookmark (Thunderbird) a desktop shortcut?

This is actually one of the things I don’t like about 11.10 … click this link:

Creating a desktop launcher in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

then just enter thunderbird in the Command: field.

Well if your running 11.10 in Unity, you right click the icon in the launcher and select “Pin to Launcher”. I know that you can’t just right click on the desktop and “Create a Launcher” like you used to be able too in version <11.10. However, there is a fix if your using Gnome-Shell.

Run in terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

to install Gnome-Tweak.

Once you’ve installed it, start it up from the applications menu, and then goto the File Manager tab. Tick the box that says “Have file manager handle the desktop”. Close the dialog box.

You’ll now be able to right click, and the use the “Create a Launcher” option again. Click it, and you’ll be presented with a box that looks like this:

Now in each of the sections copy the following:

Type: Application
Name: Thunderbird
Command: thunderbird
Comment: you can leave this blank if you want.

Hit OK, and you should have a good ol’ desktop launcher. ::slight_smile:

Erm … be aware the above GUI solution won’t work if you’re using the Unity desktop … it will also install a load of stuff that may slow your PC if you have limited RAM … and oddly enough, as you still have to enter the command manually, I can’t see that it’s “easier” :-\

I think you miss interpreted the question, I want specific bookmarks from the ‘bookmarks’ in Thunderbird. NOT a quicklaunch of Thunderbird itself.
Anyway, I have found an easier way to put PROGRAM icons on the desktop than you describe, which to me, and probably many others is VERY confusing. All you need to do is look in the folder ‘/usr/share/applications/’ and inside there you will find the programs, all you need to do is right click on the one(s) you want then select ‘copy’‘to desktop’ and that’s it.

Why don’t you like this way, it makes it faster to run the program you want instead of hunting for it.

Yup, that’s on the forum somewhere … BUT, not all applications will have a .desktop (launcher) file in that directory … and creating a launcher in the fashion I mentioned will allow you to create shortcuts to an Address/Place/Location as well as an Application … or to run a Command/Script etc.

It annoyes the hell out of me that they’ve made this MUCH more difficult … I see it as a NECESSITY … though I’m sure someone will add it as a third party plugin, IMHO it should be there by default >:(

I don’t use Thunderbird any more … is the “bookmark” a URL ?

Yes, a web address.

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel

then

gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new

in the resulting window -

Type: Location
Name:
Command:
Comment:

So if I was creating a launcher for this forum …

Type: Location
Name: Linux Forums
Command: http://linuxforums.org.uk
Comment: Best Linux Forum On The Planet

You can change the icon (if you wish) by clicking the little springboard icon, and navigating to an icon/image.

Thanks. I’ll have a go at that.
shame it’s not as easy as in XP, just click and drag the web address to the desktop.

[EDIT]
Tried it, how about icons?, it’s just a ‘footprint’
[EDIT 2]
Just re-read your last post.
Can it be edited?
Whats a springboard icon?

When you first enter the:

command … there is a little box with an icon of a springboard it it (changes to the default gnome footprint if you don’t select an icon) … click that, and it will let you choose a pic as an icon

or, edit the launcher you’ve already created …

Right click on the launcher you’ve already created on your desktop, select Properties … now you’ll see a box with a footprint in it … click that box.

Hint – you’ll find some icons at /usr/share/icons and subdirs. … or make your own, or download one.

it WAS easy in <= 11.04 >:( … don’t know what they’re playing at here.

Thanks for the help and sorry to be asking questions on everything, as mentioned before, I’m new to this OS and all the commands are alien to me and I don’t have a clue what they mean.
Is there a book or a free ebook you could recommend I get so that I can start understanding what the commands are you are getting me to do.
e.g. ‘sudo’ I have no idea what that means or does.

Maybe they are in secret talks with a certain ‘Bill’ … :wink:
When I first saw the Ubuntu desktop after installing it, the first thing I thought was ‘7’, if you know what I mean.
It had the same feel and look as ‘7’, its not quite as hard to navigate (it is quite like wandering into a totally unknown town and having to do things when you have no idea where you are)
Thats one reason why I ditched Windows and came over to Ubuntu, I was so used to using XP, when I tried to use 7, I had no idea what I was doing, wheres the ‘control panel’, ‘Ctrl’ + ‘Alt’ + ‘Del’ doesn’t do what it ALWAYS used to do on the other Win OS’s, ‘Add/Remove’ is one I’ve yet to find. And having to give permission to a file to run every time is annoying as I have no idea how to tell it it can run without a problem every other time. I just HATE Win 7 with a passion

I actually think Win7 is probably the best version of Windows … though I suppose that’s not saying much.

As I’ve now upgraded to 12.04 I want desktop shortcuts again, but for some reason the ‘Make Link’ is not working (see Screenshot)
Is this another 12.04 bug like the 'copy bug.
Other than

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel

&

Is there a way to fix the ‘make link’ bug?

[EDIT #1]
Forgot to add screenshot

[EDIT #2]
Found that it may be to do with permissions as it says I’m not root (See screenshot). So HOW do I get to be root and make a link from the folder?

Sorted it myself… lol
one of BKS’s posts caught my eye
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9733.msg79799#msg79799
so I decided to check it out and went to the ‘app’ and checked to appropriate box and they showed up…

[EDIT]
BUT… The ‘Make Link’ still does NOT work…

Which desktop ?

What are you trying to create a desktop icon for ?

Gnome Classic.
I thought I’d done it but I must have chosen the wrong folder!

So are you sorted ?

if not … can you answer my second question too.

[EDIT]

Sorry, let me be a little clearer …

What are you trying to create a desktop shortcut TO ?

What you were trying earlier suggested you were trying to create an application “Launcher”.

But now you mention “directories” … for those you need symlinks.

Though technically you could use symlinks to launch applications, or launchers to open the file manager at a specific location … it’s probably not the best way to go about things … because you can’t (easily) set directory permissions on a launcher.

I want to make shortcuts to commonly used programs I use.
My mention of directories was meant to say the folder where the programs I want to have shortcuts of on the desktop.
Hope that clears it up a bit