Can not execute linux-install-run

Hi
Have just downloaded MPLAB-X v1-30 and when I try to run install file using the terminal and ‘chmod’ command to execute the linux-install.run command I get the message command not found even though I am looking at it. If I use the GUI I get the message that I am not a super user even though I am, using the terminal and ‘sudo’ command. I have run the 32bit files.
The O/S is Ubuntu 12.10 64Bit
Any Ideas or suggestions.

Andypc42

Hi andypc42, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You cannot run an executable by just entering it’s name, unless it’s somewhere in the $PATH … you either have to enter the FULL path to the executable, or if it’s in the current directory" precede it with ./ … so if it’s in your Home directory, either of these will work:-

sudo ./linux-install-run

or

sudo /home/<username>/linux-install-run

hth.

Hi
Mark Greaves
Thank you for your quick reply. I have tried both those commands but get the same message that I am not a “super user” for the first command and the message “no such file” for the second command. I will try the other commands you suggested later tonight.

Andypc42

OK lets start this from scratch …

First check this is what you’re after:
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/#downloads
if it is … continue with the instructions below.

(Be sure to get the syntax right when entering the following commands, and remember Linux commands ARE case sensitive … if in doubt, copy/paste the command)

Delete the MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run fie from your Home directory (if it exists):

cd ~

then

rm -vf MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run

Now use wget to download a new copy of the MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run file into your home directory:

wget http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run

Set the downloaded file as executable:

chmod +x MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run

Now run the installer:

sudo ./MPLABX-v1_30-linux-installer.run

enter your password when prompted (be aware whilst entering your password, nothing will be echoed to screen, not even ******, but it is going in, so just type your password and hit enter).

You should now be walked through the installation.

If that last command fails, saying something like you are not a “super user” … send the output from this command:

groups

Hi
Mark
Once again many thanks for your quick reply. Followed all you instructions and commands and glad to say it downloaded MPLABX and executed the the run file.
Many thanks

Andypc

You’re most welcome :slight_smile: