Cannot boot peppermint 4 live usb

I think all SeZo was saying is that Bodhi is ALSO based on 12.04 … so you’d be OK with that too, IF you wanted to give it a go :slight_smile:

SeZo and Salparadise bring balance here, otherwise it would probably slowly become a Peppermint forum … and that’s not what’s in the title :wink:
(As they should, they’ll keep suggesting alternatives and balancing my unintentional, but inevitable Peppermint slant)

Theoretically there’s nothing stopping anyone using a non-pae kernel in Ubuntu >= 12.10 … the problem is how do they get it on their system in the first place.

I see 2 options …

1. unpack the ISO and rebuild with a non-pae kernel

or possibly

1. Move the hard drive to a PC that has a CPU that does supoprt PAE, install Peppermint 4, change kernel, put the drive back into the old PC

@Mark

I think all SeZo was saying is that Bodhi is ALSO based on 12.04 .. so you'd be OK with that too, IF you wanted to give it a go
I was merely responding to the query raised by Emegra. It was not a suggestion. ??? According to here they do indeed offer both versions of the distro.
SeZo and Salparadise bring balance here, otherwise it would probably slowly become a Peppermint forum .. and that's not what's in the title
Too right. :o Choice is good.
According to here they do indeed offer both versions of the distro.

In which case I’m with Emegra … if it’s based on 12.04 … why do they need a non-pae version ?

[EDIT]

In answer to my own question …

It seems though Bodhi is always based on LTS releases, the 2.3.0 release of Bodhi doesn’t use the 3.2 kernel, it uses the 3.8 kernel … now if they got this from the Ubuntu kernel PPA there would have been no non-pae kernel available, so they’d have had to roll their own

In which case I'm with Emegra .. if it's based on 12.04 .. why do they need a non-pae version ?

So that they can offer the newer pae kernels with the updates. ::slight_smile:
Source: About Bodhi Linux - Bodhi Linux

Release Cycle Evolution of Bodhi

Bodhi Linux is a “semi-rolling” release. This means that we follow the Ubuntu LTS release cycle for the core of our distribution, but in between these major release we backport software to our users so all of their software stays current. This means to stay with the latest release of Bodhi you only need to reinstall your system every two years, while still having current versions of your favorite applications. Bodhi releases are supported/get security updates for as long as the LTS base is supported by Ubuntu, which is five years.

To add to my confusion, I decided to give Bodhi a try (as it turned out not one of my better ideas but that’s another story) I downloaded both PAE & non PAE versions but only the non PAE would install and this is the same machine I installed Peppermint 4 on (which presumably has PAE capability)

Graeme

To add to my confusion, I decided to give Bodhi a try ([i]as it turned out not one of my better ideas but that's another story[/i])

Just curious, what wast he problem with Bodhi?

Just curious, what wast he problem with Bodhi?

Let me first say there’s probably nothing wrong with Bodhi I am no expert and I’m only going by my own experience which is limited,

On the surface it looks amazing the artwork and themes are the best I’ve ever seen, but it seems to be all about looks, very little works out of the box ie printing there’s no config utility or cups server installed by default, I spent the best part of an afternoon trying to connect to my NAS and I still haven’t figured out how to do it (even gigolo wont find it) and I eventually gave up out of frustration.

I still have it installed on a spare drive on my PC and I’ll work away at it and given time i may well be back on here singing it’s praises and telling everyone that Bodhi is the best distro out there, but I have to say first impressions were frustrating to say the least

Graeme

The problem is … it’s not that Disto I’m not allowed to mention :slight_smile:

The problem is .. it's not that Disto I'm not allowed to mention

You wanna edit that ? ;D

or are you not allowed to mention gravy granuals (oh no that’s Bisto) silly me :slight_smile:

Ooops… That Other Bistro

Would that be the same distro ( I forget it’s name now) that you’ve sometimes on very rare occasions been known to show an ever so slight and unintentional bias for ? :slight_smile:

Who me ? … biased ? … never!!!