Cannot connect to network (SOLVED)

Can you post the output of the /etc/rc.local file

I made a typo initially then corrected it, I want to make sure you’ve done it right

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

when the text file opens up copy and paste the contents here

Graeme

#!/bin/sh -e

rc.local

This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.

Make sure that the script will “exit 0” on success or any other

value on error.

In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution

bits.

By default this script does nothing.

rfkill unblock wifi

exit 0

uncomment the second from the bottom line by removing the # at the beginning of the line, so it reads like this

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
rfkill unblock wifi
exit 0

Graeme

I put the # because all the other lines had it. :-[

I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks.

a # at the beginning of a line in a config file means that command will be ignored

You can reboot to test to see if that has worked

Good luck

Graeme

If the rfkill unblock wifi does not work then try in /etc/rc.local (either)

rfkill unblock 0

0 being the index of the first item with soft block:

0: sony-wifi: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: yes Hard blocked: no

If that does not work then try:

rfkill unblock all

Is networking enabled in “network connections”.

I cannot see any option to enable in network connections. It gives a list of networks including mine.

I haven’t had any problems so far today so hopefully the other code may have worked. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

I am also using mint 13 maya (Mate) if you right click the network icon in the task bar then the first option should be Enable Networking followed by connection information and Edit connections.

If it’s blocked, I don’t think it shows up in the GUI

If I right click the network icon I just get Remove from panel, Panel settings and Add/remove applets.

Is your system using the “MATE” desk Top or the “Cinnamon” desk top?

It’s using Cinnamon.

I’ve just thought - you’re on Mint 13, which is Ubuntu 12.04 under the hood. I used to have the same trouble back then on my old netbook, as there was some bug in the kernel driver for the Atheros chipsets. It’s been fixed since I believe, but where you are still running the old kernel, it may still be a risk (that said, you might not have that chipset anyway).

Please can you post the result of:

lshw -C network

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
PCI (sysfs)
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 13
serial: 00:1d:ba:f1:cf:04
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 firmware=N/A latency=0 multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:44 memory:d2d20000-d2d23fff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:d2d00000-d2d1ffff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:24:2b:f0:6a:a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-49-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.2 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
resources: irq:18 memory:d0500000-d050ffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

If I right click the network icon I just get Remove from panel, Panel settings and Add/remove applets.

Tanya if you’re getting these options it means you’re right clicking on the panel and not the network icon, can you try right clicking in different areas on the network icon, the options you’re looking for are Enable Networking, Enable Wireless Connection Information and Edit Connections

if you get these options make sure Enable Networking and Enable Wireless are ticked

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

The only icon I have is a ‘wireless connection’ icon. Should I be clicking on something else? I can’t see anything else that relates to the network.

Would it be better to update to a newer Mint version? Or would I lose all my documents etc?

The only icon I have is a 'wireless connection' icon. Should I be clicking on something else? I can't see anything else that relates to the network.

No it looks like you’re on the right icon

Would it be better to update to a newer Mint version? Or would I lose all my documents etc?

I don’t think that would be necessary at this stage

have you tried SeZo’s other suggestions of adding

rfkill unblock 0
or
rfkill unblock all
to the /etc/rc.local ?

I’m not really too up to speed with this sort of thing but I can help you add these commands if you want it will do no harm

alternatively have you tried rebooting the router once again ?

Graeme

Unless I am mistaken, then it seems to be working now :-\

Unless I am mistaken, then it seems to be working now :-\

That’s true

@Tanya

you posted on page 2 reply#27

I haven’t had any problems so far today so hopefully the other code may have worked. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

can you confirm if that’s still the case and if you are still having problems connecting ?