Canon i560 printer in Linux

Running V17.3 Mint Mate, the printer driver(s) that were installed offer more tweaks that I would ever need EXCEPT three things;

1. The page selection is ignored. If I only want to print 2 pages of a 20 page web page, I get ALL 20 no matter what I try, which is a HUGE problem!

2. The ink level and cleaning options are not available.

I looked for other drivers, but I can’t get them to load. Is there some other way to update the printer other than the lackluster printer tool? (Yes, I know that series is old).

I’m afraid Canon don’t seem to have released Linux drivers for that printer.

Regarding Q1, it appears it’s a problem between Opera V12.18 and the driver package that was auto-installed for this printer. Printing directly of a doc or pdf doesn’t seem to have the problem…

How about Brother & Epson overall, are they problems also?

See here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12773.msg104660#msg104660

I can think of a way around your problem then … just print to PDF from Opera, then print the PDF to your printer.

Not ideal, but I have no idea how Opera handles printing differently from everything else.

.pdf’s don’t seem to be a problem, it’s directly printing the web page(s) that ingnores the page count. If is 20 pages, you get 20 pages printed no matter what you do.
Of all places, a search turned up this list (I have seen other lists in web stores selling ink cartridges) for the “i” series which should all have a similar driver(s);

Cannon don’t do Linux drivers for your model so I can’t see what more can be said on that, I also fail to see what an ebay printer cartridge listing has to do with this ?

Your Canon printer only works at all in Linux because the open source community has bothered to write generic drivers themselves with ZERO help from Canon, so you can’t expect those open source community created drivers to be fully featured (specially if Canon haven’t made the internal protocols/specs available).

But it sounds to me that they’re doing a reasonable job except in Opera … which to me sounds like an Opera problem, not a Linux one … maybe you should mention it and ask for help on an Opera forum.

I also fail to see what an ebay printer cartridge listing has to do with this ?
It lists the models in the same series. Chances are one driver may work for another model in the same series.
the open source community has bothered to write generic drivers themselves with ZERO help from Canon, so you can't expect those open source community created drivers to be fully featured
I do understand, it's still frustrating that is amounting this to a no go.

The problem is Canon don’t seem to have release Linux drivers for ANY of the “i” series printers.

In fact their Linux drivers for models they do support tend to be falling behind … a lot depending on libtff4 which is an old package and not supported on most recent Linux distros … there is a workaround for this, but really it should be down to Canon to release updated drivers, the same as they would have done for Win7/8/10