Changing IP address on Virgin Media Superhub

Against my better judgement the missus decided she wanted Virgin Media TV (there was nothing wrong with Freesat as far as I could see) so she could get all these lovely adverts and trailers on HD, and we now have this new Virgin Media Superhub, I’ve done the standard stuff like changed the passwords & SSID etc but the main problem is the router ip address is different from what i had before and I can’t see any way in the hub settings to change it, in fact other than passwords i don’t see any way to change anything,

I have a Freenas server connected to my network that Mark kindly helped me mount via /etc/fstab to /mnt but now nothing is showing in /mnt and I cant access my network shares, I’m sure everything would be ok if i could change the router ip to original but from what I can see there is no way to do that

any help or advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Graeme

According to this you can:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Setup-Equipment/Superhub-configuration/td-p/245467

Yeah you’re right I didn’t notice “advanced settings” however (there’s always a however) when I change the LAN IP and apply an error message pops up saying “

IP Conflict
LAN IP address and guest LAN IP address cannot be the same.

any ideas what this guest LAN IP can be ?

Graeme

Read the link I gave you :slight_smile:

Second posting … about clearing the DHCP leases

Read the link I gave you :)

I did read it Mark but the trouble is I don’t have the “clear dhcp leases button” that would be too easy for me

even if you scroll down ?

does it not look like this ?

http://i55.tinypic.com/11kfm78.jpg

even if you scroll down ?

Even if I scroll down, see screenshot

OK, according to this:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-Setup-Equipment/Clearing-DHCP-lease-table-and-changing-superhub-IP-on-R36/td-p/1331623

There are 3 hidden “guest” networks, which always settle on the 3 IP addresses above the routers … so the workaround is to set the the IP to a different range first (something like 192.168.10.1) then reconnect, then set it to what you want it to be.

From the same link you posted

Hi I am absolutely livid!! Sorry for my first post to have such a tone but I had exactly the same problem as redpizza and was hoping I could do what was suggested namely: "Clear DHCP Leases" instead of "Apply" but that option has gone in r36 and having speant the best part of the day trying to find someone in support that understood the problem was told by a guy called Prodipta the line manager that Virginmedia will no longer allow the Lan IP address to be changed. If anyone on this forum does a factory reset they will not be able to change their Lan IP from the default 192.168.0.1.

I really hope someone has found a work round to this and can post it here. If anyone from Virgin reads this can they please confirm whether it is correct and why it has been done.

Looks like I could be out of luck :frowning:

See my last posting

What are you trying to change the not-so-superhub’s IP from and to ?

Ok your workaround worked I changed it to 192.168.10.1 and it accepted that and rebooted then it allowed me to change it to what I wanted so now everything appears to be working as before

what a fu’@@@ng joke

Once again thanks for your help

Graeme

Great … and you’re most welcome :slight_smile:

I am wondering (in case you could not change the ip address), could you not just use the Virgin cr*p only as a modem and carry on using your existing router for your local LAN? This might be slightly more complicated to set up but you would retain control. :-\

Yeh, that was going to be my next suggestion too … but we found a workaround to change the superhubs IP :slight_smile:

Hi seZo

Thanks for your input

I am wondering (in case you could not change the ip address), could you not just use the Virgin cr*p only as a modem and carry on using your existing router for your local LAN? This might be slightly more complicated to set up but you would retain control.

That was always an option and there is a section in the settings to do that, to be honest as it stands we are finding the network kinda slow since installing the new superhub so i might yet go down that road

Graeme

So much for “Super” eh ?

So much for "Super" eh ?

I know

we were told our internet speed would be around 3 times faster and although i took that with a pinch of salt i didn’t expect it to be slower but lets face it they#ll say anything for £50 a month who wouldn’t

And there I was thinking to switch to Virgin for my broadband. ::slight_smile:

And there I was thinking to switch to Virgin for my broadband.

This may sound crazy but I would recommend Virgin Media broadband to anyone we’ve had it for over 10 years and all in all it’s been rock solid, to be honest in my opinion they’re all scam artists BT, Sky, Virgin Media but all things considered I have to say Virgin Media has worked well for us
and it wouldn’t be fair to be too unfairly critical over one issue

Graeme

Just confirming your suspicion …Yep, sounds crazy to me :o