Changing wallpapers

Hi guys

Does anyone know of any wallpaper changers that will work with PM4, I’ve tried Wallch but just doesn’t work although it goes through the motions, and I tried wally which is nowhere to be found in the menu and crashes instantly upon opening it in the terminal.

Ideally I want to change my wallpaper according to the seasons so an application that could change the wallpaper weekly would be good but daily or even monthly would be ok but no less than daily and no more than monthly

any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Graeme

AFAIK, there’s no wallpaperchanger for pcmanfm (which s what controls the wallpaper) … there is a random wallpaper changer script here if you wish

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=87784.0
we talked about it on the peppermint forum here:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?p=31329#p31329

But I doubt if it would remember where it was across reboots … so would be no good for weekly/monthly changes.

Ok no problem thanks for the reply

Graeme

You might want to take a look at this:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?p=40283#p40283

For a GUI wallpaper changer for Peppermint (and Ubuntu/Mint/etc.)

You might want to take a look at this:

Thank you that’s just what I’m looking for, I’m not too concerned if it remembers where it was across reboots (I very rarely reboot anyway) but it can be set to start automatically, even the name is perfect because that’s what I’m looking for…Variety, I tested it for every 30 seconds and it worked fine so I’ve now set it to change daily.

I’ll let you know how it works

Many thanks

Graeme

You’re most welcome :slight_smile:

I’m messing with it a bit myself

Really loving this Variety, it just works, it switched desktops after 24 hours perfectly and loaded an image from a website, I’ve also been going through some of the settings and I’ve set it to load a desktop clock which looks great (see screenshot), I noticed it can also set login screen to the same as the current desktop but I couldn’t get that to work but I’m sure I could with a bit of tweaking

This program should definitely be in the repos

Graeme

I’ve gotta agree with that … just the fact it works with LXDE too makes it pretty cool, but it’s feature rich to boot :slight_smile:

I must track down the developer(s) and give them a pat on the back.

I must track down the developer(s) and give them a pat on the back.

Don’t be too hasty, I’ve discovered a problem which I think is with Variety not Peppermint. I set my wallpapers to change daily from /usr/share/peppermint/wallpapers/Autumn and it works fine however if I leave the PC idle for some time ie overnight when I return the screen is completely grey and there is no right click response on the desktop, the only way to get my wallpaper back is to log out and in again or reboot, I know you (Mark) were trying out Variety and it would be interesting to know if you have the same issue, I submitted a bug report to the developers here Bug #1246994 “Desktop turns Grey after being left idle some time...” : Bugs : Variety

Many thanks

Graeme

I’ve only ever usede it for changing pics from my home folder, and haven’t noticed a problem … but I’ll set it like yours and see what happens.

Just wondering did you try out the Variety desktop issue I’m having, The devs seem to think it’s pcmanfm crashing but whatever it is it’s not unique because I tried it on my wifes PC (PM4) and it’s doing exactly the same thing

Here’s a couple of screenshots showing the desktop before and after the issue

Many thanks

Graeme

Yup, that’s exactly what the desktop would look like if pcmanfm crashed so wasn’t loading the desktop profile.

Next time that happens, hit Alt+F2 to open a “Run” dialog box

then enter

pcmanfm --desktop --profile peppermint

and hit enter … that should bring it back.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this, but I’ve resized all of my wallpapers to exactly my screen size … they’re ALL .jpg’s, and I may not be running the same version of pcmanfm as you.

Are you 100% sure there isn’t a corrupt picture in there somewhere ?

Are you 100% sure there isn't a corrupt picture in there somewhere ?

Well I can’t be sure but the odd thing is that this has happened with about 5 or 6 different images and it’s not happening at a changeover time it just seem to happen randomly after the PC has been left idle for a few hours, it’s changing wallpapers no problem, Ive opened each of the images from the source folder and they all open fine.

I’ll try it from a different folder and see how that works

Many thanks

Graeme

I wonder if it’s a combination of the wallpaper changer, and either the powermanager screen blanking or the screensaver, that’s causing pcmanfm to crash … both of which are disabled on my system.

BTW, that desktop wallpaper in your last but one posting … I saw a horizontally flipped version of that image onlline with the words “XP is showing its age” written on it :slight_smile:

I wonder if it's a combination of the wallpaper changer, and either the powermanager screen blanking or the screensaver, that's causing pcmanfm to crash .. both of which are disabled on my system.

I have already tried switching off the screensaver and setting it to lock screen and not lock screen at the moment I have a screensaver enabled to activate after 15 minutes and it works fine but I don’t know anything about the power manager.

BTW, that desktop wallpaper in your last but one posting .. I saw a horizontally flipped version of that image onlline with the words "XP is showing its age" written on it :)

Yeah I see what you mean :slight_smile:

Many thanks

Graeme

Are these desktops or laptops ?

And which version of pcmanfm are you running ?

dpkg -l | grep pcmanfm
Are these desktops or laptops ?

Both desktops

graeme@Linux1 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep pcmanfm
ii  pcmanfm                                       1.1.0+bzr914+201307130104~raring1      i386         extremely fast and lightweight file manager
graeme@Linux1 ~ $ 
pat@Linux2 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep pcmanfm
ii  pcmanfm                                       1.1.0+bzr914+201307130104~raring1      i386         extremely fast and lightweight file manager
pat@Linux2 ~

$

Mine IS a later version…

mark@AA1-Blue ~ $ dpkg -l | grep pcmanfm
ii  pcmanfm                              1.1.2+bzr973+201309081728~ubuntu13.04.1     i386         extremely fast and lightweight file manager

Now I’m not saying this is definitely why I’ve been unable to reproduce the crash … just throwing it out there :wink:

Ok well I’ve now posted the output from Linux2 and it looks like the same version as Linux1 if I remember correctly we installed your version to Chloes PC when we were have problems with Docky (not that that’s relevant just thought I’d add that).

Do you think it would be worthwhile trying your version ?

Many thanks

Graeme

Can’t hurt, and can be removed if necessary:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/pcmanfm

then

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then log off/on or reboot.

to remove:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:mark-pcnetspec/pcmanfm

and log off/on.

Be aware, you’ll have to recreate any bookmarks, as the new version stores them in a different place.