Coming Soon :: Review of the Google Nexus S

Last Christmas time Google launched their first phone, the Google Nexus. By all accounts this was a bit of a marketing disaster, although technically the phone itself was sound and indeed a little ahead of it’s time in terms of specification.

This Christmas they did it properly producing a next-gen phone AND marketing it normally via retail channels, which in the UK constitutes the “Carphone Warehouse”.

First thing to ask is “does it beat the iPhone4?” … and the answer is “no, it buries it!”.

What’s it got?

• Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
  • Two cameras, front and back for video calls (5M pixel)
  • Still video and Full video/Audio modes
  • Good 3G Audio support / sound quality
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • NFC (Near Field Communication)
  • GPS Receiver
  • Accelerometer
  • Proximity sensor
  • 16Gb onboard

And in terms of built-in software?

• Google Earth
  • Google Maps
  • GMail
  • EMail (including Exchange client)
  • Contacts, Calendar etc
  • Route-Finder
  • etc etc … (there is a lot!)

And;

Access to the Android application store … bucketloads of free and commercial software.
“There’s an Android App for that!!”

Oh, and did I mention the screen is a “Super Amoled” at 800x480?

• I’ve never seen anything like this sort of resolution before, it’s incredible.

Anyway, been using it and installing toys on it for a week now … review to follow.
[For anyone not aware / missing the context, “Android” == “Linux”]

Sounds like an my sort of Toy! :slight_smile:

You have no idea!

You know when you see those corney quotes where people say (usually in an American accent) ;

“Wow, it changed my life!”

I always used to carry a phone, and maybe use it for a call once every other day.

I still make calls every other days, but I probably spend about an average of an hour using the phone every day for other things … email, twitter, monit, wifi scanning, satnav, browsing, contacts, calendar, and email … did I mention email already … I know I had email on my old phone, but it wasn’t easy to use or read … then there’s the camera, video camera …

Anyway, best tools for the job regardless of who makes it … so I use a Google Nexus S as a mobile, M$ XBOX 360 Elite for games … and Linux as a Desktop OS … ;D